Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$600k to spend for first home, near Akld Airport?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • $600k to spend for first home, near Akld Airport?

    Hi everybody, I'm a longtime lurker but finally coming out of the woodwork to get some advice please.

    I recently got a job near Auckland Airport and it's highly likely my career will have me based here for several years at least. I want to buy my first home but can only spend around $600k.

    Can anyone suggest areas I should be looking at that have a reasonable commute to the airport and have potential to be a desirable area in the future? Also any areas I should definitely avoid?

    I have lived most of my life in the city and North Shore so my knowledge out south is minimal at best. I'm in the early stages of my research so any tips in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

    Cheers

  • #2
    Mangere Bridge?

    Might be able to pick up something there for that price and close to the SW to get into town, and not far from Airport.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Boom View Post
      Mangere Bridge?

      Might be able to pick up something there for that price and close to the SW to get into town, and not far from Airport.
      You may get a 2 beddie unit in Mangere Bridge for $600k.

      But for a tradition 3 beddie house I would look at Mangere East. Near the Middlemore train station. Then you are not constrained by school zones so much. Go down to the train stations between 7 - 8am. It is packed with South Auckland kids catching the train into good schools in Central Auckland.

      Shane

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks guys, I will keep watch on Mangere Bridge but i don't like my chances. Seems like there is bugger all listings and the prices are around $800k. But if a unit comes up I will be interested.

        I will take your advice Shane and check out the train station early in the morning, thanks. Also what do you think of Papatoetoe? It looks like it's close to the hospital and airport but prices seem reasonable by Auckland standards?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Knightrider View Post
          Thanks guys, I will keep watch on Mangere Bridge but i don't like my chances. Seems like there is bugger all listings and the prices are around $800k. But if a unit comes up I will be interested.

          I will take your advice Shane and check out the train station early in the morning, thanks. Also what do you think of Papatoetoe? It looks like it's close to the hospital and airport but prices seem reasonable by Auckland standards?
          Papatoetoe and Mangere East are very similar and the 2 suburbs are next to each other. One side of the Middelmore train tracks is Papatoetoe and the other side Mangere East. I have 9 tenancies in Papatoetoe so I am a believer.

          I really DON'T like the Papatoetoe side of Middlemore hospital neighourhood. Lots of ex-state homes. Probably the 2nd worst pocket of Papatoetoe. The worst being Casper Road and the little streets off Casper. Lots of good pockets to Papatoetoe though, the Golden circle being the most desirable.

          Still possible to buy for $600k in Papatoetoe but it will be a cross lease, do-up more than likely

          Shane

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi Shane, what do you think of properties on Pah Road?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Doremon View Post
              Hi Shane, what do you think of properties on Pah Road?
              Funny you mention Pah Road. It used to be part of my running route for years.

              It is ok, the Wyllie Road end is better than the Ferndown end. But I wouldn't buy the low-lying side of Pah Road (same side as the softball park) with the houses facing South. The houses on the high side, facing North get really good sun.

              Shane

              Comment


              • #8
                Awesome! Thank you very much for the information!

                Btw which is the softball park? Robert White Park? So issue is more with not getting the sun?

                Cheers
                Last edited by Doremon; 01-07-2016, 10:14 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  i paid 19k for my first home, 600k madness

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    This sounds like a very good buy for Papatoetoe. It amazes me when people perceive they will save agent fees and go with a little known low-fee Real Estate company. When in reality they are doing themselves out of thousands of $$$$.

                    http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/re...1117473594.htm

                    Shane

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Lol, I saw this property yesterday and was surprised at the asking price. Wonder whether that side of the street is ok?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Doremon View Post
                        Lol, I saw this property yesterday and was surprised at the asking price. Wonder whether that side of the street is ok?
                        The side of the street is fine and it is at the flat (non hilly) end of Hillcrest Road

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Shane D View Post
                          This sounds like a very good buy for Papatoetoe. It amazes me when people perceive they will save agent fees and go with a little known low-fee Real Estate company. When in reality they are doing themselves out of thousands of $$$$.

                          http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/re...1117473594.htm

                          Shane
                          yea but everyone knows land sharks are rippoff merchants

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Proximity to Aorere? Sure is cheap for a 4 beddie

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X