Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Bedroom vs. bedsit

Hi
    I own a house with separate very modern, sunny and tidy unit attached to the side of the house. It is totally separate with own full sized kitchen, bathroom, laundry, garden, garage, power. Only problem is it is a bedsit, although for a bedsit is quite large. There appears a reluctance from the rental market to let it, and it seems because of the bedsit arrangement? The area was badly configured because the double bedroom could have been quite easily put in the kitchen area.

I could build a bedroom within the open plan area. The configuration would require no consent. However with the layout the bedroom would be to the back of the open plan area as the other side is full of French doors. This means the bedroom would have no windows and the double closet would have to remain in the lounge. There would be room for a king size bed and two tables either side and enough room to comfortably walk around the bed. The doorway would face the bathroom and so no one would have to walk through the lounge or kitchen area from bedroom to bathroom. I would remedy the darkness of the room by installing some shutters. With having tradies in the family I estimate the cost of the reno to be between 3-4k.

Questions:
    Given the bedroom will be quite small is it worth adding it? Is it better to not add and just ask for a lesser rent, reduction of $30 per week I am thinking?
    When selling the property in the future would this bedroom add value although it has no windows and may possibly look like an afterthought?
    House is in Tauranga. Yes rental shortage there but it appears it is the family home market, not singles or couples.

In simple monetary terms if you can spend 4 or 5 grand and get let's say an additional $10 a week and keep it rented you hav a 10% return on your cash, so worth doing. I am guessing you may get a lot more than that and will certainly be more rent-able.

Comment

Originally posted by RollingCloud View Post
      This means the bedroom would have no windows
      This won't meet the building code, and also not having a wardrobe technically means it's not a bedroom. I think your better off accepting it for what it is, rather than making a sub-standard compromise, it will just make it even harder to let.

BTW, perhaps a more elegant solution is get some bookshelves or such to create some partition and define the bed area better and create a little separation. This works well in high end studio apartments.
      Last edited by elguapo; 11-04-2016, 02:16 PM.

Comment

If you are set on going down the route of separating out the bedroom, in addition to the shutters for light, you can have one side of the bedroom built as frosted glass sliding doors so that the whole bedroom can be opened out when they don't need the privacy - also something that is often done in apartments.

Comment

I would say worth doing at that price. If it is only internal partitions it won't need a consent. Maybe consider fold back partitions like they have in large hotel meeting rooms.

Comment

We had a flat like like that. We had a joiner make a partition shelf out of plywood - 300 x 1800 x 1800 on lockable wheels, divided into 4x4 cube shelves, and a painted black MDF back on one side up to the level of the 3rd cube so the top row of cubes were open letting light through. It could be pushed against a wall and used as a shelf/wall unit if not wanted, or used as a partition / shelf if needed for privacy. It could also be moved back and forward easily on its wheels and locked down to make the living room bigger or smaller. The tenants loved it!

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeye View Post
              We had a flat like like that. We had a joiner make a partition shelf out of plywood - 300 x 1800 x 1800 on lockable wheels, divided into 4x4 cube shelves, and a painted black MDF back on one side up to the level of the 3rd cube so the top row of cubes were open letting light through. It could be pushed against a wall and used as a shelf/wall unit if not wanted, or used as a partition / shelf if needed for privacy. It could also be moved back and forward easily on its wheels and locked down to make the living room bigger or smaller. The tenants loved it!
              Sounds like an amazing piece of furniture!
              Finance Broker - www.creditone.co.nz

Comment

Working...
              X