Budget Predication - "Working for Families" gets canned for rich folk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget Predication - "Working for Families" gets canned for rich folk

The budget is tommorrow and their doesn't seem to be many suprises planned by National.

I do think they will finally close the "Working for Families" scam where financially well-off people hide their assets in trusts and cry poor, to claim the working for Families $$$ benefit.

About time too, I say. Shameful waste of money due to a stupid Labour policy.

Any others with any predications for tommorrow?

Shane

Too hard.....fair enough call, but I think it will be just to hard to implement.......how do you tell between a real poor person and a clever rich one????.

Cheers
    Spaceman

Comment

By the kids' first names. Any that contain hyphens, apostrophes, (or indeed any punctuation), is a poor person.

Jacks, Lucys, Davids - all rich families.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post
        By the kids' first names. Any that contain hyphens, apostrophes, (or indeed any punctuation), is a poor person.

Jacks, Lucys, Davids - all rich families.
        Beautifully done.

Comment

I saw in the budget news, "holiday homes" that are only able to be partially rented out during the year will no longer be able to be claimed as a tax loss situation.

Comment

I've already said it elsewhere, but define "holiday home" versus "short term let at the seaside that the LL doesn't use"?

Comment

they should stop the welfare scam as well, you know the one, the one where we pay dropkicks to breed

Comment

Oh, and the Irish. Something oughta be done about that. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post
                  ...... "short term let at the seaside that the LL doesn't use"?
                  Why would you want to own and run this business if you are losing money from it ?

Comment

Who said I'm losing money? The point is, a short term let is more liable to have longer periods of non-letting (breaks between tenants) than a regular let (but at higher rates when it is let). I want to know how that would be distinguished from a holiday home?

Comment

^ Mixed used...or not; may well be your answer.

Never fear, your taxpayer funded subsidy is safe.

Comment

How do they know if it's mixed use or not?

I'm protecting your interest too you know. It's the thin end of the wegde. If breaks between lets are not claimable for a short-term letting situation, it's not such a huge leap to apply that rule to any rental.

Comment

How do they know if it's mixed use or not?
                          From your tax return.

If breaks between lets are not claimable for a short-term letting situation, it's not such a huge leap to apply that rule to any rental.
                          Patience; all in good time.

Comment

You what? The tax return doesn't say whether you used the place yourself. It only indicates the income you received. Another question: What I want to maintain the place? This maintenance involves some work, so I do this between tenancies. As it's some distance, I'll stay overnight while I do this maintenance. That's not a holiday. It's good business sense.

Comment

Doubt if they will remove "working for families" . But they may impose more restrictions on eligibility.
                              What the Government really need to do is remove the "encouragement to lie" mantra that lies behind every WINZ beneficiary who has their partner living with them unbeknownst to WINZ & claiming a full benefit .Do any landlords know of any WINZ beneficiary that ISN"T doing so???
                              The system is a COMPLETE shambles.

Comment

Working...
                              X