Heritage Hotel Apartment Auckland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heritage Hotel Apartment Auckland

Hi, new to this site. What do people think about investment in this building?.
    Looks appealing and well done up but it is an old building. As good and safe as any others?

imho

not as good and safe as new buildings

and inherently more expensive to run

so higher BC etc.

i'd stay away
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

Comment

I think all the councils will be bringing tougher earthquake strengthening requirements in and you may be forced to pay for them. Factor it into the price if it isn't greater than current code already. Also check out wiring, plumbing have been upgraded and fire systems vs current requirements.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. It is a consideration. I wonder though, if some of these new buildings have the same issues

Comment

Hi there, I can't resist putting my two cents in.

First off though my opinion could be a little bias given that I sell a lot of apartments in the Heritage Building . That being said I believe the apartments are some of the best value for money apartments available.

The Auckland City Council have carried out a survey of many of the buildings in Auckland City, this report however is limited to specifying the urgency/timeline of any upgrades necessary, not what upgrades may need to take place. If there is a need for earthquake strengthening then the time frame for most buildings is 25 Years, this should avoid any spike in the building corp levies (unlike a leaky building which needs to be done almost immediately).

The body corporate levies are about $5,000 on average for the 50m2 apartments with favorable orientation (less for lower level internal apartments). Compare that levy to other buildings of similar quality and facilities (Quay West, Stanford Residences, Metropolis) and you levies are in fact very reasonable.

I would say, stay open to the Heritage Hotel. It is in an excellent location, being a heritage building it cannot be replicated like other modern buildings, it offers probably the best facilities of any apartment building (2 Gyms, 2 Pools one being rooftop with amazing views, 2 Spas, tennis court, Sauna). The lifestyle on offer is excellent and I have a number of very experienced investors buying multiple apartments in this building.

Just do your research and calculate any potential cost/risk.

Cheers

Oliver

Comment

do you have any investment props of your own Oliver?
            have you defeated them?
            your demons

Comment

It is basically the old 1920s Farmers Trading Co department store building, one of my favorites as a kid.

I'd run not walk.

Comment

Oliver, how come the Body Corp fees are lower than average?

Comment

Hi Eri, yes I do.

Comment

Hi Kaptitibeanman

I definitely wouldn't say the body corp levies are lower than average, they are higher than the average. When you compare the body corp levies with other high end apartments however the levies are very reasonable. The difference is the unit entitlement share is lower for each unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver Mitch View Post
                      Hi Eri, yes I do.
                      any in farmers?
                      have you defeated them?
                      your demons

Comment

I don't, I would love to get in before the prices go up though.

Comment

if you did

would it be a buy and hold

or a buy and flick?
                          have you defeated them?
                          your demons

Comment

Although buy and flick can make you a bit of cash in the short term, by the time you pay tax you are far better to hold in my opinion. Everyone has their strategy though.

My boss has done well with a buy and flick through starting the company ICONiCITY but his buy and hold is what will give him a cosy retirement.

Comment

does he have any buy and holds in heritage buildings?

i think they are too risky

not so much for quakes

but hugely expensive strengthening work

very expensive insurance

and increased BC costs

even when heritage buildings are strengthened

it doesn't seem to be 100% to current code

that's just not possible without knocking them down

rather up to 30%? of current code, or some similar low%

which international insurers just laugh at

even if auckland and northland are low risk

as they are about half of nz

they MUST be charged more

to reflect the real cost of insurance risk for the rest of the country

a tenant is not going to pay more just because the LL is subsidization other building's insurance
                              have you defeated them?
                              your demons

Comment

Working...
                              X