This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owning versus renting

Of course in our society owning has more than a feel good factor.
    Like it or loath it but society judges the worth of a person on what they own and live in. Our laws even enforce that view and provide more protection and rights for owner occupiers as apposed to tenants.
    The major first step on that path is permanence and security of tenure.
    So often I have tenants saying but it is not fair to be put out of the house I have lived in for so long.
    There is much more I can leave for another post, perhaps by someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by exnzpat View Post
      One truism, that no matter how far the fall in home values fall, your equity in that home will hold steady against inflation. This is why a home should be purchased instead of rented. Not to get “rich,” not live the high life – but to maintain the wealth you accumulate through life.
      To be devil's advocate, surely if rents are low and interest rates are high, an investment tracking with inflation you're paying principal and interest on isn't the wisest investment?

Comment

I don’t know if this is a hoax or not but Version 2 of this software may be available.

http://www.thepaepae.com/by-way-of-an-introduction/4522/

I'll get a copy and let you know.

Comment

Well, it seems to work just fine. The guy who emailed it to me was pretty no-nonsense. He or she just emailed it with a few instructions. It was simple to load. I never saw Version 1 so I have nothing to compare it to.

It has a pretty neat feature where the budget calculator is connected directly to the mortgage calculator. It took me a few minutes to figure out what I was doing but it’s very easy to use. Also, a fun feature is that the budget calculator can calculate out to 5 years and back to 1 minute and this includes your mortgage (either way – I have no money).

It also has a couple of other features:
          · A house price to earnings ratio calculator
          · A house price to rent ratio calculator
          · A gross rental yield calculator
          · Also, it has a weird currency "ratio" calculator based on the price of the Big Mac hamburger. It’s a strange way to look at the value of currency and compare it. I didn't really understand it.

My assessment: because it’s free – it’s an excellent deal!
          Last edited by fatfishandchipman; 12-04-2010, 03:46 PM.

Comment

The Big Mac index is a standard one, believe it or not. The idea is that every country has Big Macs, they're all the same, and their value's about the same everywhere. If you compare their cost that gives an idea of the spending power of different currencies.

Pretty cool idea, really, if a bit of a simplification.
            Last edited by One; 13-04-2010, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fatfishandchipman View Post
              I don’t know if this is a hoax or not but Version 2 of this software may be available.

http://www.thepaepae.com/by-way-of-an-introduction/4522/

I'll get a copy and let you know.
              Its a hoax no public defender would breach confidentiality...... and keep their job
              The mission of any business enterprise should include the aim to develop economic conditions rather than simply react to them.

Comment

PT Posts being deleted???
                Are posts being deleted from this thread and others in relation to the said incident?

Is it the mods ? I checked my inbox and forum message box and dont have any mesages which I believe Mods normally do when moderating.

Originally posted by forum rules
                Moderation Process
                When the Moderator identifies a Post/Thread that requires moderation the general moderation process will be invoked. The process is:

1) The Moderator will decide if the post/thread is to be moved from the current location to the Moderators forum for review. If the issue is serious, requires in-depth review and cannot remain accessible to the public then the post/thread will be moved to the Moderators Forum. If the issue is not considered serious, then post/thread will remain in the current position and moderation of the content will be done there.

2) The Moderator will alert the forum member who created the offending post/thread either via Private Message and/or email. The communication will contain the alert to the post moderated and the reason(s) why the post/thread was moderated.

3) Additional - If a post/thread has been moved to the Moderators forum, the Moderators will then update the forum community of any action taken within the same post/thread/forum of the offending content. Action(s) may include moderation of post/thread by moving, merging or splitting threads, deletion of content, editing of content or the locking of a thread.
                Maybe it is the forum ghost deleting posts?

Comment

Originally posted by whitt View Post
                  PT Posts being deleted???
                  Are posts being deleted from this thread and others in relation to the said incident?

Is it the mods ? I checked my inbox and forum message box and dont have any mesages which I believe Mods normally do when moderating.
                  No posts have been deleted from this thread by the mods, or a ghost.

Comment

Originally posted by LKSteve View Post
                    I don't need a mortgage calculator. When I've got a 50% deposit on a house that costs 3 X times my annual income which equates to lower than what I'm currently paying in rent, then I'll buy.

I suggest a very good book instead for the aforementioned Spruikers, Real Estate Agents, REINZ Officials, Out-Right Scammers, Real Investors, Web-Board Nazis, Property Gurus, Insane and Just-Plain-Crazy web-surfers:

"The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason"
                    I don't need a mortgage calculator either.

When I buy a home it will be using 100% cash leveraged out of my carefully nurtured investment portfolio (which will still be cash positive afterwards), will be debt free, and bullet proof from day 1.

3 x what I "earn" is a rather nebulous number, as I can make it vary by 300% depending on how I measure it.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDad View Post
                      No posts have been deleted from this thread by the mods, or a ghost.
                      Ummmmm.
                      Who deleted my posts then? It was not me.
                      I told you this is haunted.

Comment

Originally posted by Austrokiwi View Post
                        Its a hoax no public defender would breach confidentiality...... and keep their job

If it is a hoax then it’s a strange one. Most hoaxes involve money. And whoever exnzpat is he does not seem to want that. Executionerofthewill, the individual who is giving away exnzpat’s software, said he use to be an attorney for a public defender’s office but is no longer doing that. From his narrative at the Peter Aranyi’s website I gather he's just living off exnzpat’s money.

He sent me the software. That’s all I know, but an interesting thing happens when you hold your mouse over the Print document in the “budget calculator.” I won’t spoil it for you but it has something to do with exnzpat’s dog.

Comment

Originally posted by fatfishandchipman View Post
                          If it is a hoax then it’s a strange one. Most hoaxes involve money.
                          Do they? ( rhetorical) If such incidents occurred in the US of A involving an NZer there is no way it would not end up in the NZ media. Look at the story that is now being told on Peter Aranyi’s website; it is just a continuation of the NZ expat buys a rental thread. There are some interesting additions but they really do challenge credibility. Ergot poisoning was once well known, it is caused most often by bakers using ergot contaminated "grain" I believe the last known outbreak was in Germany in the early 1900s. For one person to suffer ergotism that person would have had to obtain the grain, grind it to flour and then bake the bread them selves. even in that scenario it would be unlikely that they were the only person to be effected. Ergotism is so rare it would also hit the Media in a large way.
                          As an aside: Ergot poisoning is equivalent to dropping acid.

As far as I am concerned it is just NZ expat having fun as he kills off his online persona
                          The mission of any business enterprise should include the aim to develop economic conditions rather than simply react to them.

Comment

As far as I am concerned it is just NZ expat having fun as he kills off his online persona
                            And starts a new fat greasy one.

Comment

Well said. Getting all you guys talking and wondering about it is his sole purpose and enjoyment. That's what a hoax is all about.

Don't...feed...the...trolls...
                              High resolution Fractal Art on quality canvas: www.FractalArt.co.nz

Comment

Last month I was Bernard Hickey because I saw no evil in tax depreciation vs. tax appreciation.

This month I’m a troll because I think free software that uses your income as a base-point and considers a real time budget in the calculation is a useful tool! Which, by the way, you can find the software here: [email protected]

I can’t win with you guys! Who will I be next month? Mary Holm!

Comment

Working...
                                X