Investment Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Investment Advice

Am just new to this Website and after some advice.I currently have half an investment property(3 bdrm townhouse Mt Eden Akl)and am paying $50 per week to top up the mortgage.Am living in ChCh now and have around $80,000 to invest in either a new home for myself as I dont have my own or another investment home.In todays current economic situation what would be a suitable plan to increase wealth.

Depends what your goals are. If you're after short term gains, I'd leave the money in the bank. If you're wanting to buy an investment or personal property I'd keep my eye open and be patient, interest rates (and prices) should come down quite a bit further over the next 12-18 months.

Comment

Or stick the money off your mortgage to make it CF positive for now and take it out again when you are ready to buy your next one.

Comment

Originally posted by dongiblin View Post
        Am just new to this Website and after some advice.I currently have half an investment property(3 bdrm townhouse Mt Eden Akl)and am paying $50 per week to top up the mortgage.Am living in ChCh now and have around $80,000 to invest in either a new home for myself as I dont have my own or another investment home.In todays current economic situation what would be a suitable plan to increase wealth.
        Buy gold with half your cash, put the rest in Kiwibank.

Do NOT put money on your mortgage, the credit crisis is only deapening and soon you won't be able to take money out on revolving credit accounts, banks will start shuting them down if they are sitting there fully paid off.

Comment

Hadn't thought of that Dan. A bit conspiracy theorist but very possible.
          If it made it pos cash flow I'd still do it. The banks won't be bad forever.

Comment

Possibly Pooomba, but they tend to give you an umbrella when it is sunny and take it away when it rains.

Comment

Diversify.

Say:
              1. 10% NZ$.
              2. 40% in Yen.
              3. 40% gold
              4. 10% silver.

Comment

so the safest bank to put a wad of cash into at moment is kiwibank?

Comment

I think so, either that or Rabobank which will be profitable as it is linked to agriculture and that is booming!

Comment

dairy is booming but sheep and beef are doing it very hard have heard of average $150k per farm loss last financial year,
                    if the acid goes on the banks, why will kiwibank be kinder to its customers? are they less exposed than the australian owned banks?

Comment

Thanks for all the advice.I have my money sitting in a kiwibank on call account now.Have been thinking about investing in gold.Is there a website where you can just purchase gold online and is it worth it with the associated storage fees?

Comment

www.nzmint.co.nz

I think it is worth it in the current climate, price has dropped a bit so good time to get in!

Comment

Why Yen???

Originally posted by Steve Netwriter View Post
                          Diversify.

Say:
                          1. 10% NZ$.
                          2. 40% in Yen.
                          3. 40% gold
                          4. 10% silver.
                          Steve, a have a quick question for you.

Why such a big chunk of saving in the Yen? The Yen interest rate stinks at under 1%.

Is your thinking that the Yen will appreciate against other currencies by X% thus more than making up for the horrible interest rate?

So that would lead to my next question.

What is your estimate on Yen appeciation over the next 12 to 18 months?? And what are the main fundemental reasons for the appreciation of the Yen against the Kiwi and other currencies such as the USD?

Thanks in advance.

Shane D

Comment

Investment Advice

Dongiblin, may I suggest that you should be very careful in seeking investment advice through such a medium as this forum.

It is a property Forum, first and foremost, secondly you will get all sorts of weird and wonderful theories as to why you should by this and that, invest in gold, silver, the Yen and so on.

It could well turn out that you would be just as guilty as the poor old mums and dads who have lost their money in finance companies, because of your naivete and unwillingness to seek out "proper" investment advice.

When seeking investment advice, speak to an expert who will follow a process with you so that many key aspects can be determined: -- your age, goals, timeframes, assets and liabilities, earning capacity, your risk profile and so on and so on.

Otherwise you may just as well ask your local plumber or electrician for investment advice.

I don't mean to demean any of the forum contributors, as I am sure there is a wealth of knowledge out there, but you owe it to yourself to follow a thorough and in-depth process, at least to understand what else is available and what you should be doing with your funds given the aforementioned parameters.

Comment

Originally posted by dongiblin View Post
                              Thanks for all the advice.I have my money sitting in a kiwibank on call account now.Have been thinking about investing in gold.Is there a website where you can just purchase gold online and is it worth it with the associated storage fees?
                              There is a lot I could say about this. You do need to do your own research.

But the answer to your question:

http://goldmoney.com/ - do silver & gold
                              http://www.bullionvault.com/ - do gold

The fees are quite low, and IMO well worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X