Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Third Party Report on pre-1992 works - walk away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Third Party Report on pre-1992 works - walk away?

Hi. A first time buyer here and looking for advice from those smarter than me!

Looking to buy 1980's house. It apparently had some minor work done pre 1992 and has been set out in a Third Party Report and lodged with the council.

The works are simply taking down a non-load bearing wall in a bathroom, adding a non-load bearing wall in the lounge, and adding a shower in each of the two bathrooms. So nothing major. The report says everything is safe and sanitary and up to building standards of the estimated date of the works in mid 80s.

Is this a problem going forward if I want to sell the house? The house is currently insured and don't think my lender will have an issue. Am I just lucky with my lender? What if the writer of the report is wrong (despite his impressive credentials)? Can I sue the report writer if they are wrong, even though the seller commissioned the report?

Just wondering if anyone has experience of this. Surely this comes up often, given everyone in NZ basically does DIY to their house pre-1992!

Firstly, NEVER take a third party's report especially if the vendor has paid for it, NEVER! I know someone who bought a house based on the vendors building report. Said the house had no dampness issues. Guess what, all 3 showers were leaking due to failed membranes. As the report was for the vendor the purchaser has no come back to the report writer and the failed showers were outside the 10 year warranty.
    I would check the story with Council. Lodging something with Council does not mean they accept it. I would get something in writing from them explaining how they see it. Also, insurers are becoming much more picky, so if the house is insured doesn't mean you will get it insured. Just a bit of homework.

Comment

This is a straight forward process and you are entitled to rely on the writers opinion which seems to have also been accepted by the council.

The wall work described could be done today without consent and wouldn't need a S and S at all. The showers are an added value? (and have stood the test of time.)

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
        This is a straight forward process and you are entitled to rely on the writers opinion which seems to have also been accepted by the council.

The wall work described could be done today without consent and wouldn't need a S and S at all. The showers are an added value? (and have stood the test of time.)
        Thank you so much!

Comment

Working...
        X