Council Confusion - Mixed Housing Suburban Zone / Aircraft Noise Overlay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Confusion - Mixed Housing Suburban Zone / Aircraft Noise Overlay

Morning all, hoping someone with more property developer experience than me can provide a view on Auckland Council Unitary Plan restrictions I'm stuck on.

I have a property with the following profile:

- Section of 945 m2
    - Currently has two 1950s units on it
    - Zoned as Mixed Housing Suburban

I've been working with a private designer/planner who believes we can put 6 units on the land; a neighbour two houses down the street is completing 5 townhouses at present on a smaller section.

On speaking with Council today to progress the outline plan I've been told that the 'Chapter D Overlay' for the Unitary Plan and the Aircraft Noise Overlay means the section can only be subdivided into minimum 400sqm lots, thus only two new properties can be built.

When I mentioned the neighbour had built 5 townhouses they claimed the resource consent was granted pre-2017 Unitary Plan. Does this make sense to anyone?

I've tried to attach a map of the aircraft noise overlay taken from https://unitaryplanmaps.aucklandcoun...t.nz/upviewer/ which covers a huge swathe of Auckland - is it true that no owner can now develop to a higher density than 1 property per 400sqm in a Mixed Housing Suburban Zone covered by this overlay?

Cheers

You can find out by asking a question on GRA's Resource Management Act Update Webinar. With the recent changes, you've probably got a case to have a min. 3 properties without needing resource consent. The free webinar is on - Thurs 4 Nov.

The Government recently announced plans to change the Resource Management Act (RMA), reducing red tape and allowing for intensification of housing throughout the country.

The rules would allow three homes of up to three storeys high to be built on most sites without the need for resource consent.

What do these changes mean, and what impact will they have on the housing market, homeowners, developers, and investors?
    Join GRA managing director Matthew Gilligan and town planner Simon O’Connor on a free Zoom Webinar on Thursday 4 November at 7 pm, where they will discuss the implications of the RMA amendments.

Matthew and Simon will cover:
    • What the new rules are and where they will apply
    • How the housing marketing may be affected
    • How investors might take advantage of these changes
    • Potential downsides of the new rules
    • Q & A session
    cheers,

Donna
    SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

^^ This is on tonight