Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tenant a sleepout

Hi everyone
    I'm building a second dwelling of 60sqm.
    The front of it will have kitchen bathroom living and two bedrooms. The back of it I would like to have two bathrooms and then have two 30sqm sleepouts that can access a bathroom each.

The dwelling cannot have more than one kitchen. The kitchen sink is what makes it a kitchen. Once it's built the bathroom is big enough that I would be able to wall off the toilet and shower then put a bench next to the bathroom sink for bench top cooking and put a fridge and cupboards in.

If the sleepouts are tenanted as flatmates to the main house tenants then it seems like this would be fine. Is that right? Or maybe it should be a boarding house. Is it when it's a seperate tenancy that you'd need a firewall? The house would be fitted with fire sprinklers.

I could make the 60sqm dwelling three bedroom and rent would be $600pw
    If it's two bed it would be $400pw and the sleepouts $250pw each.

if you are building then why not provide the fire/sound separation? except that if you have sprinklers you avoid many fire requirements.

Aim for separate tenancy's as this adds better value and you can let both spaces separately (ie non occupier LL). Everything else is a compromise and open to challenge

Comment

What does your insurer say? If it’s not legal then not insured?

Comment

Post a plan.
        Put a bench next to the bathroom sink for bench top cooking and put a fridge and cupboards in - this doesnt sound right, why not get done it properly when building new ?

You wont be covered under insurnace, plus be prepared to face the music in TT and tenant claiming all the rent back

[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
          if you are building then why not provide the fire/sound separation? except that if you have sprinklers you avoid many fire requirements.

Aim for separate tenancy's as this adds better value and you can let both spaces separately (ie non occupier LL). Everything else is a compromise and open to challenge
          This is the best opinion so far, and I agree about it.

Comment

Working...
          X