Get a new rental manager. Save your money and list it as 3 bed

Leave a comment:

• donna
    replied
    Yeah - let us know how you get on.

Leave a comment:

• Yakima
    replied
    That was my conclusion - file the AKL Council RID objection and see what their valuer says when they inspect.

I'm assuming if they reclassify on the rates database as 3 bedroom it can then be both rented and sold for more - the Council gets to clip the ticket with a higher rates bill along the way. Seems like the only way to conclude the issue!

Leave a comment:

• donna
    replied
    Another way of looking at it is if you're going to get $200+ a week for it - then the extra in rates is hardly worth the worry?

cheers,

Donna

Leave a comment:

• Yakima
    replied
    Thanks for the links Donna, the first two I had read and added to my confusion! There doesn't seem to be a known process about how to call a bedroom a bedroom, note the debate about a built-in vs freestanding wardrobe and agents giving their views. It's frustrating how something simple is hard to get a clear answer on but I do appreciate your reply.

Leave a comment:

• donna
    replied
    Hi Yakima,

Welcome to PropertyTalk. Yes, it's all very confusing. Here are a couple of recent earlier discussions on bedrooms.....

https://www.propertytalk.com/forum/f...ents-nz/45458-

https://www.propertytalk.com/forum/f...-study-bedroom

And see this on tenants get rent refund.

cheers,

Donna

Leave a comment:

• Yakima
    started a topic When is a bedroom not a bedroom?

When is a bedroom not a bedroom?

First time posting after some deep searching on the Forum and Google too - I find myself lost in a bureaucratic maze and hoping someone may know the answer!

I have a new rental classed as a two bedder with a 'sunroom'. The sunroom was added to the 50s property in 1972 and the plan notes it as a sunroom extension. It fits all the building code requirements to be classed as a bedroom - permanent materials that match the house, insulated, room dimensions greater than 6m2, ceiling height greater than 2.1m, ventilation, window opening, large enough to fit a bed and storage and separate door access.

I bought it hoping to rent out as a 3 bedroom but rental agents insist it's a 2 bedroom due to the Auckland Council rates information online. They do acknowledge the space will be used as a third bedroom.

The simple fix would seem to be to file a RID objection and pay higher rates once reclassified as a 3 bedroom. Can anyone shed any light on this scenario? Is it worth filing an objection and waiting for a council valuer to inspect?

The council state their listing information is only for rating purposes, not for rental descriptions. Has anyone been in a similar situation? I figure a potential $500 rates increase is worth the notional rent and resale gain if it allows me to call it a 3 bedder. Any thoughts?
Working...
X