Maintain or re-roof.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintain or re-roof.

Question - Re-roof or Maintain & respray. (100sqm roof)

I have a property where the maintenance schedule is behind, roof is needing work and also a repaint on exterior.

Repaint is not so much an issue as I have an airless spayer and will do the prep myself, potentially saying us 10-15k. The roof however is another story, some leakage has started to appear in one of the units, and water is starting to seep in, I have 2 options, repair the leaks and prime & respray the roof or replace it fully.

Have been quoted $3200 to repair and respray and 8K to replace whole roof. 1st option is less but may cost over the long run once roof needs to be replaced eventually.

Not wanting to spend 8k atm but may be the most cost effective thing to do. Property is cashflow positive and has good cashflow but maintenance on this property is starting to build.

Any advice on this one as I'm in 2 minds.

FH
    "DEBT BECOMES IRRELEVANT WITH INFLATION".

Originally posted by Frezzinghot View Post
    Question - Re-roof or Maintain & respray. (100sqm roof)

I have a property where the maintenance schedule is behind, roof is needing work and also a repaint on exterior.

Repaint is not so much an issue as I have an airless spayer and will do the prep myself, potentially saying us 10-15k. The roof however is another story, some leakage has started to appear in one of the units, and water is starting to seep in, I have 2 options, repair the leaks and prime & respray the roof or replace it fully.

Have been quoted $3200 to repair and respray and 8K to replace whole roof. 1st option is less but may cost over the long run once roof needs to be replaced eventually.

Not wanting to spend 8k atm but may be the most cost effective thing to do. Property is cashflow positive and has good cashflow but maintenance on this property is starting to build.

Any advice on this one as I'm in 2 minds.

FH
    What is the roof made of??

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeye View Post

What is the roof made of??
      Corrugated iron.

Comment

Just replace the sheets that need replacing. Our 230m2 house "desperately requires reroof for 13k" 7 years ago is still doing its job after I replaced 3 sheets @ $15/ea plus a few patches of bitumen tape. Did the same for another house that was quoted as 9k. Do I regret not spending 22k of 2013 dollars? No. Does it make any difference to the value? No. Does it make any difference to the rental income? No.

Comment

Originally posted by crashy View Post
          Just replace the sheets that need replacing. Our 230m2 house "desperately requires reroof for 13k" 7 years ago is still doing its job after I replaced 3 sheets @ $15/ea plus a few patches of bitumen tape. Did the same for another house that was quoted as 9k. Do I regret not spending 22k of 2013 dollars? No. Does it make any difference to the value? No. Does it make any difference to the rental income? No.
          Nice info dude. Thanks for this one!

Comment

Its not so much the tin, which one roofer said should last another 5 years, its the roof nails lifting and the pitch of the roof is not very steep so when it rains it kind of pools in the middle and seeps under the gaps where the sheets meet one another, so really its the nails popping up in certain places!

Comment

Buy roofing screws and dome caps. Replace any nails that are not holding tight. You will need 2 hammers to remove them

Comment

Buy roofing screws and dome caps. Replace any nails that are not holding tight. You will need 2 hammers to remove them
                I’ve decided to maintain the roof and refit the screws, not keen on spending 10k atm so getting quotes now to fix, I will clean, prime and respray myself as I have an airless sprayer.

Comment

Rethink the spraying. It will go everywhere, neighbours cars etc, and give you a pointless thin coat. You want a THICK coat. Use a corrugated roller

Comment

I'm super impressed that you can get your roof replaced for $8000. I would have thought that it would cost at least this much just for the scaffolding.

Comment

^^ probably doesn’t need scaffolding as he’s doing the work himself but if it was done by a roofing co. Yep there’s that cost as well.

We did choose to reroof one property as it really needed it and it’s very steep so we weren’t prepared to go on it.

Another we sealed around the chimney and some nails but will need to replace them with screws and do the repaint within the next few months.

cheers

Donna
                      SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Originally posted by MacKenzie View Post
                        I'm super impressed that you can get your roof replaced for $8000. I would have thought that it would cost at least this much just for the scaffolding.
                        No scaffolding needed

Comment

Rethink the spraying. It will go everywhere, neighbours cars etc, and give you a pointless thin coat. You want a THICK coat. Use a corrugated roller
                          I dont know what kind of sprayer you are used to ,but a good airless sprayer on a calm day will not paint anything but your roof unless you are pretty reckless.....Ive done acres of roofs......Maybe your thinking of the old compressor sprayers ....I also use more paint when I spray than rolling or brushing....I still drive by roofs I sprayed 10+ years ago that look great.(assuming its good paint).....just sayin

Comment

Im super impressed he has figured out a way to save 10-15K on a roof that cost 8K new

Comment

I am novice, have a iron roof with holes in it due to rust; is this to be fixed by a roofer

Comment

Working...
                              X