Infrared heaters complying 'Healthy Home standards'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infrared heaters complying 'Healthy Home standards'

With the Healthy Home standards regarding fixed heating requirements many are opting to go straight to installing heat pumps.

There are several disadvantages to heat pumps :
    1. Cost factor minimim installed is around $1500

2. They tend to be big chewers of electricity meaning tenants are less likely to use them.

3. They require regular maintenance such as changing or cleaning filters.

4. They are large units to install taking up a fair chunk in your living room as well as the necessary outdoor component placement.

5. Even the quietest ones have some operational noise.

6. The heat form tends to dry out air sometimes causing sore throat maladies.

I am considering a more cost effective solution - infrared heaters. The new Healthy Home standards state these can be an acceptable solution if permanently fixed onto a wall bracket and are a minimum of 1.5KWatts to a maximum of 2.4KWatts

They are of course :

- much cheaper around $300,
    - less bulky,
    - more instant than heat pumps,
    - can be wall mounted,
    - has thermostat control,
    - different heat settings,
    - use less power,
    - silent operation
    - maintenance free etc.

What does anyone else think?
    Would you deem it as a better solution than a heat pump?
    ​​​​​​

Here is a link to a current marketed model :

https://m.tradetested.co.nz/p/home-o...hoCmXQQAvD_BwE

They use more power for the kW out - heat pumps are more efficient.
    The power a heat pumps uses depends on how much you run them.
    If the main living area requires more than 2.4kW you can't use an 'electric' heater except a heat pump so I don't see how one would comply.

Comment

Most 2 bedroom units and small lounges of 3 bedroom homes should be fine with 1 infrared heater of 2.4kw capacity .
      From what I've read, infra red is a very efficient form of heating.
      I've a pet hate for heat pumps for all the reasons mentioned above , and think they are overrated and the market over saturated with what seems a 'one option' only.
      Last edited by mrsaneperson; 02-12-2020, 06:28 PM.

Comment

To be healthy home compliant you need to fill in their form that takes into account window area, floor area, insulation, ceiling height etc for the main living room. It tells you how many kw you have to have. If it is a large room a heat pump or wood burner would be the only things that out put 6kw I think?

Comment

The form calculations aren't an 'absolute'. They are aimed at achieving 18 degrees centigrade, as recommended by WHO. Too many variances are omitted from the calculation sheet such as sun exposure . As long as their has been reasonable and 'genuine' strides of input into following the requirements there should be no issues.

Comment

Heat pumps are 'gas guzzlers' so to speak if they're not regularly maintained and this is where the 'hidden cost lies'.

Your tenants won't clean the filters regularly nor properly and Landlords probably wouldn't trust them to do it properly anyway. So there's a cost for someone to do the maintenance. Then there's the outside unit - that too is supposed to get an annual clean. (Makes me wonder how they achieve that with apartments where the units are stuck outside the unit, with some many floors up).

I put in another post an ex-tenant was delighted with the heat pump but didn't know how to run it or maintain it. Therefore with so much dirt and fluff in it when the tenants vacated the premises - it's output dropped so much the tenants' response was to just up the temperature to a nice 30 degrees.

Lack of maintenance of a heat pump is a fire risk - motors overheat when clogged up and airflow restricted.

cheers,

Donna

SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Working...
            X