Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the criteria to call a room - a bedroom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the criteria to call a room - a bedroom?

I have a property that's on the flatplans as a 2 bedroom yet the attic room is large, and in many countries particularly where houses are small e.g. UK this attic room would be considered a king size bedroom.

So my question is - is there a reason it can not be on the plans as a bedroom?

It is well insulated etc. The only showstopper could be the door access is less than the usual height - you have to duck to get into the room but a person 6 foot tall can stand tall in the middle but not at either side - as the room's ceiling slopes with the roof.

Your thoughts will be much appreciated.

thanks

Donna
    SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

if it was in a homeowners house it would be used as a bedroom as a rental who knows? has it got a window? one of my boys was in a old coal shed in a student flat

Comment

Yes it's got a window and it opens too. Plus electric sockets, lights. No walk in or built-in wardrobe but it does have storage via cupboards to two other areas.

cheers,

Donna
      SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

No approval required;
        except some septic tank systems limit the number of bedrooms as may resource consent restrictions such as in some multidwellings.
        House improvement regs 1947 have some stipulations for size but these are un-enforcable?

The question is how to get this recognised?

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
          No approval required;
          except some septic tank systems limit the number of bedrooms as may resource consent restrictions such as in some multidwellings.
          House improvement regs 1947 have some stipulations for size but these are un-enforcable?

The question is how to get this recognised?

It could be used a bedroom but I doubt the plans can be updated or that it can be lawfully advertised as a 3 bedroom property as the current window glass area is likely to be inadequate for the floor space which Donna describes as large.

I believe habitable rooms have rules on the ratios of window area to floor area for light and ventilation. I think bedrooms also have rules around ceiling height and slope too.

Might be easier to simply define the space as being a rumpus room.

See https://brentsellsnelson.co.nz/real-...-bedroom-size/

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
            Yes it's got a window and it opens too. Plus electric sockets, lights. No walk in or built-in wardrobe but it does have storage via cupboards to two other areas.

cheers,

Donna
            What's the width?

What's the total area?

See this below VVVV

https://brentsellsnelson.co.nz/real-...-bedroom-size/
            Last edited by McDuck; 22-08-2020, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanya View Post
              It could be used a bedroom but I doubt the plans can be updated or that it can be lawfully advertised as a 3 bedroom property as the current window glass area is likely to be inadequate for the floor space which Donna describes as large.

I believe habitable rooms have rules on the ratios of window area to floor area for light and ventilation. I think bedrooms also have rules around ceiling height and slope too.

Might be easier to simply define the space as being a rumpus room.

See https://brentsellsnelson.co.nz/real-...-bedroom-size/
              the coal shed my son was in didnt have any windows...student landlords eh

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
                the coal shed my son was in didnt have any windows...student landlords eh
                Huh! Yes. That's a shocker. I'm sure it came with a spotless kit set wardrobe and a smoke alarm -- for an extra fee of course.

Comment

The point is that there is no approval required for an existing space to be used for sleeping?

The house improvement regs certainly affirm an adequate space and its attributes but is this act enforceable as a minimum and If so how?

Is there any precedent for this?

Since the change of use regs 2005 the change in use from old to new may not trigger a 'change of use' under the building act?

Comment

he coal shed my son was in didnt have any windows...student landlords eh
                    it was likely insanitary?

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
                      it was likely insanitary?
                      it wasnt to bad really, just a room with a bed, no coal, no toilet etc, 1 powerpoint

Comment

Hi Donna
                        An attic is considered a non habitable space but of course a bedroom is, therefore council would likely want you to get the change made on the plans via a Building Consent or Certificate of Acceptance, this would involve getting a producer statement from an architect that the roof trusses meet the code, the ceiling height, plus the floor area to opening window area meets the minimum criteria for ventilation. I don't know if it this calculation could be made by only using the floor area where the roof height meets the minimum standard and exclude the m2 of floor area where the ceiling slopes down closer to the floor. If the staircase opens into the proposed 'bedroom' I would imagine there would have to be some barriers around that as per building code rules around that to separate it from the bedroom.

Comment

sorry Ang but this is rubbish there is "no change of use" but to let the space it must be fit for purpose.
                          The building code only applies to new 'building work' and not to existing buildings

if this is wrong please give chapt and verse?

Has anyone got a compelling argument to this posts query?
                          Last edited by John the builder; 31-08-2020, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X