Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expanding a principal unit into accessory ones.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Expanding a principal unit into accessory ones.

    Hi everyone,

    We consider buying a 2-brd townhouse in a unit title structure. The principal unit is located on the first floor right above its accessory unit on the ground floor, where the latter is an oversized garage with a storage room.
    Looking for ways to add some value to it, I've got an idea to build internal stairs to join the units into one principal unit, then turn the living room into another bedroom and convert the garage into a living room (there's plenty of space to build a couple of car ports next the townhouse). So, if all this works out, we'd have 3 bedrooms on the first floor and a living room + kitchen - on the ground floor.

    My thinking is that we'd need to change the title to connect the accessory unit to the principal (fortunately, there is o one more owner only, so, we'd only need to update 2 titles). I also understand that we'd also need to go through obtaining consents etc (I might be completely wrong as well ).

    Currently, I'd like to size the level of expenses, how much effort this idea would take, and whether or not is's doable at all, and if it's eventually worth the effort.

    Any advice/ideas would be much appreciated!

    (thank you in advance!)

  • #2
    Originally posted by Vlad View Post
    Hi everyone,

    We consider buying a 2-brd townhouse in a unit title structure. The principal unit is located on the first floor right above its accessory unit on the ground floor, where the latter is an oversized garage with a storage room.
    Looking for ways to add some value to it, I've got an idea to build internal stairs to join the units into one principal unit, then turn the living room into another bedroom and convert the garage into a living room (there's plenty of space to build a couple of car ports next the townhouse). So, if all this works out, we'd have 3 bedrooms on the first floor and a living room + kitchen - on the ground floor.

    My thinking is that we'd need to change the title to connect the accessory unit to the principal (fortunately, there is o one more owner only, so, we'd only need to update 2 titles). I also understand that we'd also need to go through obtaining consents etc (I might be completely wrong as well ).

    Currently, I'd like to size the level of expenses, how much effort this idea would take, and whether or not is's doable at all, and if it's eventually worth the effort.

    Any advice/ideas would be much appreciated!

    (thank you in advance!)
    There is provision in the unit titles act for redeveolment. Good you only have 1 other owner? getting reslolutions and meeting resolutions passed just got easeier.

    read the relevant bits but you need to discuss with a land surveyor.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by John the builder View Post
      There is provision in the unit titles act for redeveolment. Good you only have 1 other owner? getting reslolutions and meeting resolutions passed just got easeier.

      read the relevant bits but you need to discuss with a land surveyor.
      Thank you very much for your reply and the hint about the redevelopment in the unit titles act! I'll read it this weekend. Yes, there's 1 other owner only. And, I don't see any reason for them to object to the redevelopment, where we'd be joining our accessory unit with our principal one, and they won't be financially affected at all.

      While the redevelopment is going on, would we be able to start building/plumbing/etc works and obtaining consents for that, or we'd have to wait until the updated titles are available, and only then we'd be able to apply for consents?

      By chance, do you happen to know how much it may roughly cost and take time, or any clue on how I can make a rough estimate?

      Originally posted by John the builder View Post
      but you need to discuss with a land surveyor.
      This is not clear. If the units are already in the plan and their boundaries are established. What kind of questions may I need to ask a land surveyor?

      Comment


      • #4
        what would the cost be to resubmitt the plan?

        ring the same surveyor e\who did the UT plan

        Comment


        • #5
          This is an interesting project. Seems quite tricky but if you could pull it off I can see you could build quite a bit of equity quickly. Very curious how you're going with this?

          Originally posted by Vlad View Post
          Thank you very much for your reply and the hint about the redevelopment in the unit titles act! I'll read it this weekend. Yes, there's 1 other owner only. And, I don't see any reason for them to object to the redevelopment, where we'd be joining our accessory unit with our principal one, and they won't be financially affected at all.

          While the redevelopment is going on, would we be able to start building/plumbing/etc works and obtaining consents for that, or we'd have to wait until the updated titles are available, and only then we'd be able to apply for consents?

          By chance, do you happen to know how much it may roughly cost and take time, or any clue on how I can make a rough estimate?



          This is not clear. If the units are already in the plan and their boundaries are established. What kind of questions may I need to ask a land surveyor?

          Comment

          Working...
          X