Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$4500 for drawing up plans for a small bathroom in existing laundry?? Ouch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Kane
    replied
    Are the council demanding the whole house plans be freshly drawn up by a registered draughtsman? (how would they tell if they weren't?)
    Or do they just want someone to draw the house plans to scale with measurements similar to what a draughtsman would do?
    Does the council already have the house plans in their records?
    It would be nice if you got the answers from the council instead of your draughtsman.

Leave a comment:

• John the builder
    replied
    I am saying that council a have the discretion to issue a exemption for the requirement to obtain a building consent for building work (under exemption 2 of schedule 1)and the low risk nature of this work should be recognized and an exemption granted. But you have to apply for one and we all know the commonsense that we hope councils may demonstrate is not always evident, But we live in hope.

Leave a comment:

• mrsaneperson
    replied
    Originally posted by John the builder View Post
    if the work is done by registered plumber there is no risk for council they should recognise this.

what are are you in
    I am on the North Shore. Are you saying the legislation provides me with an exemption? Do you have a link?

Leave a comment:

• John the builder
    replied
    if the work is done by registered plumber there is no risk for council they should recognise this.

what are are you in

Leave a comment:

• mrsaneperson
    replied
    Originally posted by John the builder View Post
    you can also apply for an exemption from the requirement for consent item 2 in schedule 1
    Unlikely get it if we are adding a shower plus a toilet to laundry

Leave a comment:

• Don't believe the Hype
    replied
    Originally posted by GLin View Post
    Good draughtsmen are sometimes very hard to find.

The quick and reliable ones generally will charge more.

The reliable (usually slow) ones generally will charge more, as they will be in high demand, especially in Auckland.

The unreliable, slow, bad quality, well you get what you pay for generally.
    GLin - welcome back Gary

Leave a comment:

• John the builder
    replied
    you can also apply for an exemption from the requirement for consent item 2 in schedule 1

Leave a comment:

• GLin
    replied
    Good draughtsmen are sometimes very hard to find.

The quick and reliable ones generally will charge more.

The reliable (usually slow) ones generally will charge more, as they will be in high demand, especially in Auckland.

The unreliable, slow, bad quality, well you get what you pay for generally.

Leave a comment:

• mrsaneperson
    replied
    Thanks that sounds fair and reasonable , i will look into that.

Leave a comment:

• John the builder
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
    Adding a shower, toilet and vanity to the existing laundry setup
    Get plan house from council indicate the area on the changes
    take your scale drawings into council and ask them if that is sufficient for minor consent . It should be.

explain that 4500 is what you expect to pay for the plumber!!!!! not the plans/consent

Leave a comment:

• mrsaneperson
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne View Post
    What is it that you are doing to the bathroom that requires a consent anyway?
    Adding a shower, toilet and vanity to the existing laundry setup

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    What is it that you are doing to the bathroom that requires a consent anyway?

Leave a comment:

• mrsaneperson
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
    That's what I think is required.
    You shouldn't need to redraw the whole house - take the existing house plans and redo the bathroom bit.
    Any draughting people on board? I had a bathroom done in a rental a few years back and was forced to comply in that the whole plan of the house had to be re-drawn as well.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Kane
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
    All that should be needed is the implementation of the added bathroom facility into a LIM report, which is quite simple given the space is being housed inside an existing space on an already approved plan drawing that shows an existing laundry.
    That's what I think is required.
    You shouldn't need to redraw the whole house - take the existing house plans and redo the bathroom bit.

Leave a comment:

• Nick G
    replied
    You're right but councils don't care.

Ask a second draughtsman anyway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X