Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement brick ties, Council requires me to remove brick wall, another way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement brick ties, Council requires me to remove brick wall, another way?

Hi, here is my scenario. House I own did not get CCC by previous owner. All work has since been done and a CCC inspection was fine except it was found shower membranes failed. All good except showers are tiled and both sit on an exterior wall of a cavity brick veneer house (plastered). As timber plate and studs have rot they need full replacement. However as brick ties are attached to the back of the stud, in order to replace them Council is saying i have to remove the exterior brick wall and relpace putting in new ties. House is plastered so this is even more of a nightmare. There must be another way. Has anyone come across this? The problem is the exterior wall fix up needs a building consent because it is considered structural. And this then will provide me with my CCC.
    Builders I have contacted have not offered with a solution.

your CCC is the main problem as you have to satisfy the council to get that.

the second problem is repairing the shower. It is not true that you cannot do structural repairs. The schedule 1 allows it as long as the replacement is not a substantial contribution to the building structural behaviour. This can mean part of a wall but not all the wall (but perhaps even a wall but not all the walls?)

council prosecute for a couple of studs and at least 1 case is being appealed at the moment but meanwhile council misstate the law and mislead the industry.

getting back to the first problem removing bricks doing the fix and replacing may in fact be the easiest solution and the one most likly to satisfy the council for the CCC. At least the plaster means you dont have to match the brickwork?).

If is was just repair there are solutions (side fix ties and repair wrap)but council are driven by prescriptive standards and are not satisfied by alternatives. How many ties are involved? perhaps an engineer would support their omission? drill coach screws through the brick and connect to the studs after that way? (and patch the plaster). On a corner they may not be so critical?

if you have a solution and council wont be reasonable go for a determination from MBIE
    https://www.building.govt.nz/resolvi...eterminations/

Comment

would it be possible to remove sections of brickwork, fix ties then patch the wall?

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
        would it be possible to remove sections of brickwork, fix ties then patch the wall?
        Yes this is what council is proposing. Expensive, and very hard to patch even with it being replastered. You wont get a nice flat finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Oopsiedaisies View Post
          Yes this is what council is proposing. Expensive, and very hard to patch even with it being replastered. You wont get a nice flat finish.
          if you have a decent plasterer you will

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
            if you have a decent plasterer you will
            That was my thought - needs a better plasterer.

Comment

Sometimes the easiest way seems the hardest way.
              Once to start with the workarounds easier options often become very hard and you wonder why you didn't just bite the bullet at the start.

Comment

Working...
              X