Garage door damage claim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage door damage claim

Garage door had impact damage, after getting few garage companies to give quote as it is a cedar door, more expensive than steel, claim approved for cash settlement based on one of the quotes for cedar door and I've signed full and final settlement. I received an email saying until I demonstrate that door has been replaced by forwarding them the invoice from the door company who's quote was approved, door will be omitted from policy. Now, my question is, do I have to get the door replaced from the same company,same type of door who's quote was approved or can I go to anyone I want and get whatever type of door I want? As per the person handling the claim I have to get the same door that was approved or I'll have to reimburse the difference. Haven't decided what I am going to do, house needs painting so I am not getting it done anytime soon though.
    Last edited by quebec; 03-03-2017, 03:05 PM.

Very strange. When hundreds of Chch homeowners took cash settlements, they were then able to do what they liked. Many didn't even carry out the repairs, or went DIY. Some pocketed the cash and sold their houses 'as is where is'.

Makes no sense. If you were going to get it done through the business that quoted, why would you need a cash settlement? You'd just let the insurance company organise it.

I would definitely do some more digging, if I were you. At the very least, ask where it says this in your policy.
    My blog. From personal experience.
    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

When the owners took cash settlements the house was then not insured and problably not insurable.
      Would they write a policy and exclude the garage door?
      I suppose if it was a replacement policy you'd need to 'replace' (ie the same).
      Tricky because under fixed sum there is no fixed sum for the door.

I suppose your recourse would be the insurance ombudsman.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
        When the owners took cash settlements the house was then not insured and problably not insurable.
        Only if the house was deemed a rebuild. It's quite common to take a cash settlement for a portion of the work. For example, my mother's house was repaired but she was given a cash settlement for the driveway/retaining wall. Many people took a cash settlement for the painting and did it themselves.
        They were quite popular with people who had a contact or were good handymen - they could get it done cheaper (or not do it at all) and pocket the difference.
        My blog. From personal experience.
        http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
        X