Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbours and trees

Trees; seems to be a contentious subject with some neighbours

Love your feedback on the matter of very lofty well established- probably planted in the 1960's- pine trees on a lower, unused, hillside back section of a property.

The property owners' in past years have spent a small fortune felling, thinning and topping the pines to retain the sweeping habour views enjoyed by tenants at their rental property- and the trees are presently at a height in keeping the view, and -we believe - offer some privacy and a windbreak for the property

Neighbours' in the street below have approached the tenants' complaining of the pine needles in their gutters and spouting, one in particular upset as she had hers blocked quite badly- but it does sound that she had neglected to clear her spouting for well over a year

My handyman had his arborist quote $4600 to top them - no disposal cost- just reducing height- but I don't think the height is the issue and felling them would even be more money. Am I being hardnosed in my stance that its a lot of money when the neighbours should be clearing out their gutters ! ?

It depends how often they have to clear them out. Apart from the one mentioned, are they having to clear them more than the norm?
    My blog. From personal experience.
    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

they burn good those big neighbours pine trees, definitely not the sort of tree to be planted in built up areas

Comment

Pine trees in NZ have no redeeming features.
        Have them poisoned and let them rot.

Comment

It is quite expensive to cut down more than 10- meter trees. Big tree creates hassels more than privacy. The owner seems more concerned with the cut-down fee when tree turns to certain height. I cut down all more than 4 meters trees in tenant properties to avoid to fast growing to certain height.

Comment

All you need is a hand drill, some diesel and a dark night :-)

Comment

So you own the property with the trees?
              You don't have to cut them down.
              The neighbours can ask you, and might offer to pay.

Comment

No - I manage the property for the owner. We have offered the neighbour at the side of the house cut branches for his woodburner in the past

Comment

The height obscuring the property views is the only adverse matter for the owner and tenants. We still think they offer a bit of privacy and a wind break - so considering all those factors- no advantage to the owner in cutting them until they get too high too enjoy the views

Comment

Ha ha... Guy Fawkes night isn't far away ;-)

Comment

wind break is great until the wind blows them over on the house

Comment

Working...
                      X