HRV vs Sayr vs Moisturemaster.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HRV vs Sayr vs Moisturemaster.

I need advise please, we bought a house in Hamilton last year and there is puddles of water on windows every morning.
    I am totally confused which ventilation system is better : HRV or Sayr or Mosituremaster. Everyone claims there system is superior to others.

Secondly, I am concerned about these systems throwing in cold air from roof attic at night time ? Should i be concerned about it ? we use electric heaters to heat our house (cant afford heat pump right now). HRV and Sayr says heat tempering unit is waste of money, Moisturemaster says its foolish to have cold air pumped into your house. I know heat termpering unit is just to take off the chill from air and not heat house but are they of any use at all ?

any suggestions will be muchly appreciated.

http://www.propertytalk.com/forum/sh...vs-Sayr-or-Hrv
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

I just had the guy from Sayr through our own home last night as was massively let down by his lack of knowledge. He couldn't even answer simple questions like what decibel level do the fans run at or if they sense humidity and temperature. This was disappointing as all the reviews online point to them having pretty good technical sales, which was one of the reasons why I wanted them to come over and discuss how their controller works ect.
      Last edited by FrozenWaves; 21-07-2016, 05:53 PM.

Comment

At our place, the HRV guy was really pushy and refused to even talk abt air tempering unit - probably lack of knowledge.

Comment

Seems HRV are always pushy from what I have read.
          Heating units are expensive to run! They are also small for the quantity of air flowing.
          With most units you can set them to turn the fan off when the roof space gets below a certain temperature - SmartVent does.
          It is all about pushing moist air out of the house.

Comment

There is little difference between each brand. They all do the same thing but may have different optional extras.

If the fans set to run constantly you will get cold (drier) air from the loft over the cold winter nights. The optional heating units are poor efficiency compared to heatpumps, etc. So you'll be paying for twice as many heaters to try to keep warm.

A system with a heat exchanger option will use some of the heat in your house already to take the chill off the incoming air but it will still be cool. (8 degrees as apposed to 2 example) These cost next to nothing to run but are around 30% extra setup cost.

Your installer will have the most impact on noise. Poor installation will mean a noise viberation through the joists and rafters. Having the system too close to a vent will also effect noise.

Some systems are fully controllable but then you'll get tenants switching them off because of noise, drafts and/or cost of running. (And then they'll complain about damp.)

Edit: changed transfer to exchanger.
            Last edited by Learning; 21-07-2016, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Learning View Post
              A system with a heat transfer option will use some of the heat in your house already to take the chill off the incoming air but it will still be cool. (8 degrees as apposed to 2 example) These cost next to nothing to run but are around 30% extra setup cost.

Your installer will have the most impact on noise. Poor installation will mean a noise viberation through the joists and rafters. Having the system too close to a vent will also effect noise.
              Heat transfer only works if you have a BIG heat source to transfer from - a heat pump doesn't qualify unless it is WELL overrated for where it is .

Just make sure they use sound insulated ducts otherwise you will get some noise.
              The motor unit should be hung so they don't transmit vibrations.

Comment

Sorry meant heat exchanger not transfer, that's a different type of system and nothing to do with ventilation. I agree with your points on transfer and installation.
                Last edited by Learning; 21-07-2016, 01:58 PM.

Comment

thanks Wayne and Learning for your awesome advices. its always good to get advice from someone who does not have financial interest in the matter.. haha.

Comment

Both Sayr and HRV advised that we would need 2 fans so it would mean 2 filters will need to replaced as well ? Does anyone know how much it would cost for filters from SAYR and HRV ? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Nik and Sandy View Post
                      Both Sayr and HRV advised that we would need 2 fans so it would mean 2 filters will need to replaced as well ? Does anyone know how much it would cost for filters from SAYR and HRV ? Thanks
                      How many outlets?
                      Filters are $70-$100 depending on where you get them.

Comment

6 outlets i think.

Comment

Working...
                        X