Space For Washing Machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space For Washing Machine?

So I'm in the process of renovating the kitchen in my late Fathers 1950's house. There was no laundry in the house and the washing machine was in the kitchen. I've put a new kitchen in and my plan was to move the location of the washing machine into a void that was created when I demolished and old fire place.

I'm basically just looking for ideas or wondering if I'm on the right track. My initial plan was to reline the space with gib, put a new floor in and then get the plumber in for the fittings and then put a door on it. One small problem might be the space, the dimensions as are are 650 deep and 930 wide. I'm thinking it might not be deep enough and I may have to build it out which would look a bit awkward.

We are hoping to sell the property within the next month or two so cheaper the better.

Do any of you pro's out there have any alternate suggestions?

Thanks

(couldn't figure out how to upload photos to post so here are the links)

i68.tinypic.com/5bdyq0.jpg
    i64.tinypic.com/15842zp.jpg

It's what they're doing in all the new townhouses, good idea. A bench is 800 wide usually and it goes under a bench. Sliding wardrobe doors work well.

Comment

go measure a washing machine or 2.
      650 deep seems a tad small.

Comment

Our washing machine is in an outside laundry in a small "utility" building where it will stay until the garage is built further down the back and then it will go in there. Do you have a garage?

Comment

Assuming you don't need a huge one, an 8kg F&P is 600mm deep.

Comment

We had a washing machine in the kitchen as well. When we renno'd it recently, We found a washing machine that fit under the bench etc and left space to suit. Since our kitchen was a flatpack and we measured, built and installed it all, a little customizing for the washing machine cupboard was no big deal.

Here's a quick pic to give you an idea:

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
              go measure a washing machine or 2.
              650 deep seems a tad small.
              Yes that's what I was thinking as well, will probably have to build it out another 500mm which might look awkward but can't really think of anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Meehole View Post
                Our washing machine is in an outside laundry in a small "utility" building where it will stay until the garage is built further down the back and then it will go in there. Do you have a garage?
                There is a garage outside but I'm just trying to do the house up a little bit so hopefully it will sell a bit quicker and I assume most potential buyers would prefer a washing machine inside instead.
                Last edited by Nesian; 16-02-2016, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks Mantaray, wish I had thought of that before hand. I could probably do something similar now that I think about it, maybe get the kitchen guy to build a cupboard there and put the same bench across the top. I'm not sure if that would be cheaper or more expensive though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesian View Post
                    There is a garage outside but I'm just trying to do the house up a little bit so hopefully it will sell a bit quicker and I assume most potential buyers would prefer a washing machine inside instead.
                    I don't think they'd care. To be honest what is a laundry when you can't have a tub to soak things and store cleaning items and brooms, mops etc? Call me old fashioned? I only do about 3 loads washing week and its no hassle to walk to outside laundry put a load on and go back hang out. Also if you have in sep area like garage then the clothes can be hung inside during winter or when wet. My daughter in law has her laundry in the garage and had the option recently of bringing into the house as the renovating, but opted to have it stay in the garage. Also if inside can be quite noisy in small area, plus if a landlord you would probably need to supply a front loader if putting inside a cupboard, cost to purchase then cost to maintain.

Comment

Originally posted by Meehole View Post
                      I don't think they'd care. To be honest what is a laundry when you can't have a tub to soak things and store cleaning items and brooms, mops etc? Call me old fashioned? I only do about 3 loads washing week and its no hassle to walk to outside laundry put a load on and go back hang out. Also if you have in sep area like garage then the clothes can be hung inside during winter or when wet. My daughter in law has her laundry in the garage and had the option recently of bringing into the house as the renovating, but opted to have it stay in the garage. Also if inside can be quite noisy in small area, plus if a landlord you would probably need to supply a front loader if putting inside a cupboard, cost to purchase then cost to maintain.
                      Good points. We did contemplate putting it in the garage but seeing as it gets pretty cold down here (Invercargill) during winter I thought it would be nicer having it inside plus the cost of the plumbing would have been prohibitive (a lot of concrete)

Comment

Working...
                      X