Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fence Building Advice

Hi everyone

I'm building a fence but I can't decide between using shiplap or T&G (tongue and groove) palings. I heard that T&G provides a stronger joint and gives a superior finish but is more likely to warp and if/when it shrinks the joint may come out resulting in a gap. However I also read that shiplap is more likely to warp or twist. The fencing quotes I've got from companies are all T&G and T&G palings cost more. Cost aside, can someone please explain the pro's and cons of both? I tried googling but couldn't anything on it. I'll be using kiln dryed clears for everything.

Thanks

I have never seen a T&G paling.
    In Chch we used 12mm pailings overlaped.
    In Hamilton we use square edge, rough sawn and butt them together. They then shrink as they dry and give a small gap.
    Sometimes they are layed with a bigger gap and another paling installed to cover that gap.

Comment

i would go for a metal fence. same both sides

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
        i would go for a metal fence. same both sides
        would you reccomend that if you are near salt water? have had a couple of quotes and none seem to reccomend metal due to be near the water.

Comment

I'm thinking about trying this for fencing: http://www.belairefencing.co.nz/ Anyone had any experience with them?

Comment

Originally posted by HattrickNZ View Post
            would you reccomend that if you are near salt water? have had a couple of quotes and none seem to reccomend metal due to be near the water.
            i dont know. how close to the water are you? does your house have a coloursteel roof? you could give it a blast with the hose every couple of months

Comment

I see more and more PVC fencing popping up. It certainly look nice but I prefer RS timber since I'm building them myself.

Comment

Working...
              X