Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scaffolding - Workplace falls from heights - the extra cost for what benefit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scaffolding - Workplace falls from heights - the extra cost for what benefit?

The NZ Initiative has published a new report by Dr Bryce Wilkinson on the costs and benefits of the government regs for workplace falls from heights - A Matter of Balance. Costs - not definitive but could be as much as $15k for a new build. Benefits? Officially who knows as MBIE apparently did not calculate net benefits.

Anyway, well worth a read at nzinitiative.org.nz. A lot of information in the report, some of which is being disputed in online discussions. An extract -

".... Mike Fox,
    founding director of Primesite
    Homes, said in the June 2014 issue
    of Building Today, the official
    magazine of Registered Master
    Builders Federation (RMBF):
    Conservatively, the cost to the consumer
    of the current approach is approximately
    $15,000 per [new?] dwelling (excluding
    the consumer’s additional holding costs)–
    or about $300 million in total, each and
    every year."

i think they are trying to fix a problem that didnt exist, most tradesmen work off ladders, you arnt supposed to work of ladders they are a means to access a working platform but if you have to set up a platform and then shift it constantly it takes time and time costs money, every painter in the world works off a 3 step, its a ideal height to get to ceiling height in a new house, if worksafe catches them standing on top of one its a major problem

Comment

I heard a rumor the other day that steel scaffolding was going to be phased out in favour of aluminum because of the weight and the associated back injuries as a result of erecting it. Not sure if it's true or not, but if so I'll be buying some cheap steel ones for doing renovations at home.

Comment

Had a laugh with a builder when looking through a new relocatable build. Had to have mesh installed to prevent falls from the roof but when you were installing it there was nothing to prevent you / tools from falling.

Then on 7 days in China (I think) two workmen up on high voltage lines with yellow plastic helmets.

Comment

Working...
        X