Basement bathroom costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement bathroom costs

Wondering if anyone has completed a similar project and could give an idea of the costs they had (even ballpark).

We have a 1960's concrete block home (garage below house) with an existing concrete floored large rumpus room below the house connected by an internal staircase. We'd like to turn this rumpus room into a main bedroom with ensuite bathroom.

I understand we need to have plans drawn up and submit to council for consent before we can begin any work but we need a ballpark idea of what this will cost so we can arrange finance.

Can anyone share their experience?

From a memory (a long time ago!!), the amount you pay for your permit is based on the $value of the construction ie the higher the $value the higher the permit $'s.

Go into Bunnings (mitre 10, Placemakers et al), work out how much it will cost for the fixtures and fittings (shower, bath, vanity, tiles, handrail, toilet etc etc) add glues, cements etc, add plumbing & electrical install prices, then labour..... then double that price!!! And you'll probably be short!!

Good luck.
    Patience is a virtue.

Comment

I have just applied a building consent for a similar job (change rumpus into bedroom and ensuite) in Browns bay (North Shore, Auckland).
      The cost is $2000 (drafting, design & building consent application)+ Council's fees ($2567.3.
      We also got the estimate of buildng work from a builder for about $25000.00

Comment

Thanks for the responses! That gives us a good ballpark. Bobwu, do you mind me asking who you are using for the work? And do you have easy access to the water and waste for where your bathroom is going?

With ours we have easy access to water but waste could be a problem - we'll likely either need a large pump to move the sewage "up" to the existing waste or we'll need to lift most of the driveway to get to it.

Comment

we have not got any problems with water access. we need to open a window on existing wall and a retaining within the rumpus area.
          We use CH design Ltd as agent on behalf of us to lodge the consent and drawings

Comment

Thanks Bobwu!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnson View Post
              Thanks for the responses! That gives us a good ballpark. Bobwu, do you mind me asking who you are using for the work? And do you have easy access to the water and waste for where your bathroom is going?

With ours we have easy access to water but waste could be a problem - we'll likely either need a large pump to move the sewage "up" to the existing waste or we'll need to lift most of the driveway to get to it.
              We had to put in a holding tank and a submersible pump to our property in Whangarei to pump poo uphill when we built back in 2008.

The cost of the tank and pump installed was around $6000 then and that did not include the cost of the drainlayer, excavation and drain.

As this was done before the house was constructed access was relatively easy, had we put it in now it would be more expensive as access is not as easy.

Comment

Thanks Meehole. It sounds like with access issues this could end up a substantial cost. Enough to make us consider having the bathroom in a different part of the room and rather getting access through the driveway.

Comment

Thanks Meehole. It sounds like with access issues this could end up a substantial cost. Enough to make us consider having the bathroom in a different part of the room and rather getting access through the driveway.
                  Another consideration could be the existing slab. If you are going to have a bedroom there you may be required to bring it up to code. Nowadays the slabs are insulated if done properly.

Comment

Is there anywhere I can find out about the code?

And then would this kind of change need resource consent or only building consent?

This is the first piece of 'major' renovation work we're doing so we're new to all this.

Comment

And then would this kind of change need resource consent or only building consent?

This is the first piece of 'major' renovation work we're doing so we're new to all this.
                      To be honest I would engage a draughtsperon at this stage to draw a plan up for you. It will cost you and you can shop around for prices for them. Once they have drawn up what you want, with their input with regards to the relevant code and building practices then you can use this document/plan to procure prices to undertake the work.
                      Contractors are then comparing apples with apples and before you commence work the only money you have outlayed is design cost. If you decide it's not for you or too expensive then if and when you sell you could always negotiate the future plans.
                      Also I think you will find the bank if you are borrowing the funds, really like to have a detailed plan and fixed price quote. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks Meehole. We have a draughtsperson who will draw up the plans - but I'd hate for him to draw it up with the bathroom where I'd prefer it (where it would require a pump) and then it turns out we cant afford that option and so need plans re-drawn up with the bathroom moved. This thread has given me a good idea of what these renovations could potentially cost and also the kind of costs involved if we had the bathroom where it needs a pump.

I suppose next step will be getting it drawn up and properly estimated so I can approach the bank.

Comment

Consents

We do a bit of this type of work for landlords- you will need building consent from council and possibly resource consent as well. I have a draughtsman who would have a site meeting with you for no charge if you wish or I suggest you go into council and speak to an the building department directly about the project. remember what they say does not mean what actually happens its all subject to plans and sign of and whatever may come up along the way. I would suggest yoru looking at around $40k but thats site unseen.

Cheers

Mark Trafford

Comment

Thanks Mark - I hadn't realised I could go to council and discuss with the building department directly. That sounds like a good option.

Comment

All good - need any more help just ask no probs - cheap or free is best

Comment

Working...
                              X