Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen for Rental

Hi All,
    I've just bought a small rental. I'd like to refurbish the kitchen, tile the kitchen floor before I rent it out. Nothing fancy just make it more modern than it's current 70s style. Anyone recommend someone who would be interested in such a job on North Shore.
    Thinking of doing the same for the small bath and toilet. Don't want to spend a lot because its a rental
    Thanks,
    rem

Tile? What sort of tile? Don't put ceramic tiles in a kitchen, they will crack and soon look ghastly.

Comment

done properly they will outlast any other flooring product
      Last edited by donna; 03-10-2011, 09:47 AM. Reason: no swearing allowed!

Comment

What would you suggest instead ? This is a rental

Comment

I'd go commercial vinyl every time.
          One of mine has cork tiles in the kitchen/dining, which are OK if you overcoat the polyurethane each time the tenancy changes. They have lasted well, but I wouldn't do it from scratch.

Comment

Thanks flyernzl. So is that normal , vinyl in newer places as well ?

Comment

with preparation costs vinyl will be around the same as tiles, tiles dont rip, burn, discolour

Comment

tiles don't rip, burn, discolour
                Maybe so but they can crack and be damned cold to walk on when the weather is cold.
                "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

like i said done properly they wont crack, you can use undertile heating, doubt a landlord would worry about tenants feet getting cold on a permanent floor

Comment

Golly now I'm not sure what to use

Comment

I'm sure either would be fine. However, I've seen tiled floors 2000 years old in pretty good condition, so they have history on their side.
                      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

I use porcelain tiles on all my properties.

Even my carpet layer who does vinyl too saids the same, tiles last

Comment

ok so almost sold on tiles then .. thanks for the inputs guys

Comment

Commercial vinyl is fine. The colour goes all the way through. When tenants move in/out of the dwelling, it won't matter if they scratch the top layer of the vinyl as it still looks the same.

Preparation and costs for commercial vinyl is only SLIGHTLY cheaper than tiles.

If you get a good deal (Tile Trends atm) you can get serviceable, neutral coloured tiles for about $25.99m2. Always get about six to eight extra tiles and store them somewhere. Should a tile become cracked and broken, it's really easy to replace them with the spares.

Having put domestic vinyl, commercial vinyl, and tiles in different rentals, from now on would always put in ceramic tiles.

Oh, just remembered. Bunnings/Mitre 10 tiles are not always square. So if you're thinking of doing the work yourself, be warned!!
                            Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Hi Rockran....my tuppence worth

If the vinyl is in good condition then you can probably put new vinly down over the top....if not, then the cost of floor prep (it will need to be sanded) and laying new vinly is prohibitive.

If you go with tiles AND your floor is wooden/particle board, then you need to first put down a waterproof membrane and then a special fibro sheet on which you fix the tiles. The waterproofing protects the floor from water damage and the fibro sheet provides a firm foundation thus preventing the tiles and grouting cracking.....most tilers will insist on this being done, if only to protect themselves from later claims.

Alternatively, if you don't mind a bit of DIY then put down one of the wood-look vinyls that comes in planks. It looks smart, is really easy to lay and is by far the cheapest option....it just goes over the top of any vinly and just "floats"...i.e. no need to glue.

I've done this in one of my places and have been quite happy. But note, if the kitchen floor gets a lot of sun these products can buckle with the heat.

Comment

Working...
                              X