No announcement yet.

Magnetite or "proper" double glazing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@One -that is an interesting book/article - the thing is though the one open room downstairs has a LOT of glazing including 3 good sized windows, french door and a 3m long bifold doors and an entry door with sidelight! OTOH one wall is internal (its a semi) - it gets a bit complex!

I think I will go ahead and do magnetite on the 2 upstairs, south facing studies - it will stop the condensation and may cut the heating bill slightly (I work from home in one of the rooms) - as it will cover the Al surround it will be more efficient than traditional double glazing too.

We have an east facing staircase which as 2 large windows - I think we will do those as well as in winter there is a lot of heat loss up the stairs - we minimise this by having a curtain at the bottom of the stairs but we open this when we go to bed and it would be nice to have that heat heat the upstairs not the outside!

I don't think its worthwhile doing anything as we don't use heating in there at anytime.

I'm on the fence for downstairs (the main open plan area) - so I think I will monitor power usage this winter and then make a decision - we haven't done a whole year in the house yet.
    Lis:

Helping NZ authors get their books published

Comment

Originally posted by graemeh View Post
      The Magnetite product looks like it will improve the house insulation so it will be easier (but not necessarily cheaper) to heat the house to a comfortable level. This is likely to be warmer than you used to have it (which is why it is not cheaper).
      Fair point - but its not that hard to heat at the moment - we were using a small oil column heater on a timer (set for 30 min before my partner gets up) plus a 2400W fan heater which we use when needed
      Lis:

Comment

I know how you could work this out, approx. Consumer have got an online calculator for working out the size of heatpump you'd need. That includes counting the square meters of double and single glazed windows. You could work it out for each and take the % difference. You don't even have to be a member, it's at:

http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/h...size-heat-pump

Comment

Yes, I do apologize the R Values I gave were from the USA or Canada But that is true facts. Magnetite was developed by Kenneth J Foster, an energy physicist in the US in 1978 and is proven to OUT-PERFORM every replasement window available.

Comment

Originally posted by allangg View Post
            Yes, I do apologize the R Values I gave were from the USA or Canada But that is true facts. Magnetite was developed by Kenneth J Foster, an energy physicist in the US in 1978 and is proven to OUT-PERFORM every replasement window available.
            Thanks, it does not help your credibility when you quote material like that. The way it was written I thought it was you saying that, there was no indication it was a quote and you did not provide any reference to the original source.

Are you able to provide links to independent research that backs up your claim that it out performs every replacement window available. I can accept this is probably true when compared with simple aluminium frames with no heat break but I find it hard to believe when compared with UPVC frames or even wooden windows.

Comment

Originally posted by lissie View Post
              I think I will go ahead and do magnetite on the 2 upstairs, south facing studies - it will stop the condensation and may cut the heating bill slightly (I work from home in one of the rooms) - as it will cover the Al surround it will be more efficient than traditional double glazing too.

I don't think its worthwhile doing anything as we don't use heating in there at anytime.
              Lissie
              Have a peek at this post. Perhaps range
              through the thread? A dehumidifier that
              also takes the chill off the air could be
              ideal for Wellie town.
              Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Comment

Originally posted by One View Post
                I know how you could work this out, approx. Consumer have got an online calculator for working out the size of heatpump you'd need. That includes counting the square meters of double and single glazed windows. You could work it out for each and take the % difference. You don't even have to be a member, it's at:

http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/h...size-heat-pump
                Yeah its a good calculator - I'm holding off doing the open plan living area - gonna keep good records this winter on how much heating we use - and then will be able to make a much more informed decision.
                Lis:

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                  Lissie
                  Have a peek at this post. Perhaps range
                  through the thread? A dehumidifier that
                  also takes the chill off the air could be
                  ideal for Wellie town.
                  Only got a single post there Perry? I wouldn't run dehumidifiers in the small rooms upstairs - they would be in the way -and they are a pain to empty - I tend to open windows instead.
                  Lis:

Comment

In the single post view, click on the
                    thread title in the top, right-hand
                    corner, to see the whole thread.

No need to put such devices into
                    a small room. Put 'em in the (say)
                    passage or somewhere else. Then
                    let them do their work. I would
                    not be without one, now, despite
                    the inconveniences which you
                    refer to. The 2nd hand one I bought
                    has the means to pipe the water
                    collected to outside, sort-of like an
                    air conditioning unit. If you've not
                    tried one, you'll be amazed at how
                    sweet the air smell is, even though
                    all the windows are closed.

Opening the windows simply lets
                    more moisture laden air in!

Portability does have it's advantages.
                    Like shifting it to a room with the
                    clothes horse in it, to dry the clobber
                    on those many consecutive days
                    in which Wellie has that perverse
                    thing you call liquid sunshine.
                    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Comment

Hmmm well I signed up with Magnetite in early March - but apart from taking a deposit in late March when I called them and asked how the 4-6 week time frame was going - nothing. Been trying to call them the last couple of days - but the salesman's phones are disconnected and the -0800 goes straight VM which is not replied to - starting to get concerned...
                      Lis:

Comment

Originally posted by lissie View Post
                        Hmmm well I signed up with Magnetite in early March - but apart from taking a deposit in late March when I called them and asked how the 4-6 week time frame was going - nothing. Been trying to call them the last couple of days - but the salesman's phones are disconnected and the -0800 goes straight VM which is not replied to - starting to get concerned...
                        I reckon they've hit problems. Their 0800 number (0800 394 784) has been sending engaged signals for weeks. The Upper Hutt salesman (Alan Kiddle) seems uncontactable, he doesn't reply to messages. I had a job for them, but they couldn't get any further than getting access, they never sent a quote. The Franchisee in Australia didn't reply to my email query 18th April. Hope you only paid a small deposit Lissie.

Comment

Yup they've gone - I've started a new thread to warn others

Going to chase the CC company for the deposit - yeah its not a huge figure - but annoying!
                          Last edited by Perry; 29-04-2011, 10:37 PM.
                          Lis:

Comment

I am always dubious for new fly by nighters who makes exuberant claims and then disappear with your money.

Is there a new requirment from building consents perspective?

Comment

Working...
                            X