Retro double glazing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retro double glazing

Has anyone used Magnetite? They've been in Oz for a no of yrs, only in NZ since last yr I think.

I want to dble glaze ranchslider & bdrm window (wooden joinery) initially, am having to insulate gradually - can't afford to do everything at once, and thought I'd give dble glazing a try, as it's a one-off cost for warmer in winter, cooler in summer + benefits with noise reduction.

Any feedback most welcome. Have a 70's unit with access underneath, so am also thinking about putting the sheet of plastic down as well.

Cheers

Dorothy

If you have good curtains already you're better to do the under floor insulation before you do anything more to the windows.

I can't comment on Magnetite as I've only ever seen their ads. It's not true double glazing though but as long as it fits well should be reasonably effective.

We used this product from 3M 3M Window Insulator We only used it on windows we didn't have curtains for.

Much cheaper than double glazing and it left us with money to do the under floor work which made a big difference.

Comment

Magnetite

Tks for that, but one huge attraction for me with the dble glazing is the noise reduction - noisy people next door! so I'll prob do it on the 2 windows that face the garden, then do underfloor insulation, then go round rest of windows with dble glazing..........

Comment

Originally posted by Dorothy49 View Post
        Tks for that, but one huge attraction for me with the dble glazing is the noise reduction - noisy people next door! so I'll prob do it on the 2 windows that face the garden, then do underfloor insulation, then go round rest of windows with dble glazing..........
        That makes sense, it also means if you don't get the results you expect with the 2 windows then you haven't just paid to do the whole house.

It would be great if you can update this thread once you've had the windows done, I'm sure others will also want to know if it works.

Comment

Will do. I have accepted the quote and he tells me 3 other people he'd quoted for have also accepted, and several are just doing a few windows to start to see how it goes. I expect it shld be done by end of next month.

Comment

There is another brand called magic seal as well - same thing.

For condensation issues - it works great - condensation now forms outside the window - on exterior side.

For noise issues - it works okay for what it is and for getting someone to install it.

These systems are not a complete fix for road noise however.

There is only one answer for noise - and that's mass.

The more heavier something is - the more better at blocking noise - or more important noise vibration.

A second pane of glass home handy man retro fitted would be a better blocker.

Any idea what the cost of glass is as i have no idea - a perspex window could be around 350 - 450 for standard window ?

However noise at different frequencies will be blocked differently so you may find the noise of car tires hitting the road disappears but the noise of car engines still sounds the same. You may also find a reverb issue.

The perspex systems do blocking some noise and you will notice some difference.

There is a site somewhere called green glue which has many papers on the properties of noise.

Comment

Tks for that - the noise mainly is Asian neighbours talking loudly (mainly during summer months) through the night either to each other or on the phone. I did look at Magic seal the other day + it looks very similar to Magnetite. I have told the rep one of my main reasons for doing this is to reduce noise from noisy neighbours outside - particularly in bedroom.

Comment

Hmm, i dunno, you will still hear them, it will however appear further away.

Maybe 10-20% better.
                Last edited by TheFlash; 11-06-2010, 01:57 PM.

Comment

http://www.magicseal.co.nz/
                  "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

magnetite can reduce noise by up to 70% because Magnetite retrofit double glazing can minimise noise travelling through your windows. As a secondary window system magnetite are able to create a large air cavity to buffer against noise and with the magnetic seals reduse draughts, which conduct noise. It is such a great product because it will help lower your noise problem but it will also give you Thermal Comfort and Energy Efficiency witch means a more cleaner greener New Zealandand and more money in your pocket. Let me know how you get on with Magnetite. Allan G

Comment

http://www.magnetite.co.nz/default.aspx
                      "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Magnetite

Magnetite has been somewhat disappointing. No reduction in noise at all, I can still hear noise from neighbours, incl new lot who like to have parties!

What I am concerned about tho' is that in my bedroom it seems to have increased the heat of the room in summer and dampness as well. Am unsure if this summer is way hotter in Auckland, but to make the room bearable in late afternoon I now leave the blinds and drapes completely closed until after 6pm, when the sun moves further round. I have had mildew on a leather bag in a wardobe in the same room, which has never happened before.

Not a happy outcome. Am not going to bother with any further attempts to block noise out, focus is on paying off mtge within next few yrs and moving on.

Comment

Hello Dorothy,

It would be great for you to contact the Auckland branch and talk to Greg.
                          Please note that Auckland has had the hottest summer for a long time.
                          I am amazed that your noise reduction has not been successful as our product has proven itself time and time again. I can only think of a possibility that the sound is coming from either your walls or ceiling still.
                          Please call Greg to discuss this, please let us know how you get on as we really want to create good customer satisfaction.

Comment

Working...
                          X