Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Warming up" a concrete brick wall

Hi all,

What would be the best way to tidy up a concrete block wall in a unit? Is it possible to plaster over the gaps between the blocks and paint or wallpaper it?

You'll be able to plaster the wall if it's never been painted etc.

Failing that I'd glue Gib to it.

Comment

I believe you can plaster painted blocks but you might want to take to it with a grinder/wire brush first. Get some expert advice.
      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Ive done two in the last year,the first I plastered then painted a painted block wall. It looks great but very time consuming and takes 4 or 5 coats of plaster. It is still cold to touch on external walls.

The 2nd and better option was 18mm batterns stappled to strips of damp proof material then glued and nailed to the blocks at 600mm spacings. Gib is screwed to this like a normal wall. A better finished job and simular price

Mike
        www.focuspropertymanagement.co.nz
        Property Management Tauranga & Bay of Plenty

Comment

Originally posted by AMR View Post
          Hi all,

What would be the best way to tidy up a concrete block wall in a unit? Is it possible to plaster over the gaps between the blocks and paint or wallpaper it?
          Why do you want to do this? Is it really because it's cold? Strapping and lining with gib would certainly be a bit nicer, but costs a bit and the wall can then be damaged by people shifting furniture, like all gib walls. I would have thought the bricks would have been the best best for maintenance.

Now, also, about temperature. Aren't mass walls supposed to be good? I've seen people putting them into places on programs like Grand Design. Aren't they supposed to soak up the sun and keep the place warm? And then be cooling in summer? I don't really understand this, but wouldn't this make places here in NZ with block walls more efficient temperature wise? Or does it require more complicated design than that?

David
          Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Have a look at this doc.

The last couple of pages talk about attaching Gib to concrete walls.

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
              Why do you want to do this? Is it really because it's cold? Strapping and lining with gib would certainly be a bit nicer, but costs a bit and the wall can then be damaged by people shifting furniture, like all gib walls. I would have thought the bricks would have been the best best for maintenance.

Now, also, about temperature. Aren't mass walls supposed to be good? I've seen people putting them into places on programs like Grand Design. Aren't they supposed to soak up the sun and keep the place warm? And then be cooling in summer? I don't really understand this, but wouldn't this make places here in NZ with block walls more efficient temperature wise? Or does it require more complicated design than that?

David

Yeah it is true the ESD (Environmentall Sustainable Design) principles take passive heat gains/cooling into account with regards to dense mass walls such as concrete, brick/block. However generally this is either a specifically placed internal wall to act like a radiant heater/cooler or it is an external wall that that gets good sun exposure.
              If you have a block wall that is always in shade, is partialy underground etc these gains can be negated by the downsides.

The process that would give the best result would be to strap and line the wall with GIB on timber battens (don't forget to put a DPC between the timber and the wall to stop moisture penetrating into the timber battens!)

Wouldn't be that expensive, size dependant of course.

Comment

I plastered over all the exposed cinder block walls in my flats, you can't tell the difference between those walls and the gib walls. One problem though is that since the plaster is quite thick, when tenants give it a good knock like when a heavy chair falls over it can leave quite big chips in the wall.

Comment

Be careful gibbing over a concrete wall that you don't end up with problems with your windows and door frames etc. You don't want to have to pack them out if you can avoid it as they wont match the rest of the house.

Comment

Hi
                    Did the fibbing add to the value and was it pleasing to the eye

Comment

yes, it looks much better

yes, it adds value

does it add more value than it costs?

that depends...

take this place for example

Find your dream home in New Zealand with Trade Me. Browse our full range of NZ real estate listings to discover the perfect property for families, couples and s...

if you could buy it for $150,000 and spend a month and $50,000 on

new kitchen, new bathroom, tiling, painted ceiling, gib covering the cinder block wall etc

and then sell it for $250,000

all would be good

but would it be worth buying it for the listed $280,000, spending $50,000 and a month on it

only to have it valued at $300,000? because the others units in the block are tips with terrible tenants

and it:s only sandringham?

no, that wouldn:t be worthwhile
                      Last edited by eri; 15-07-2012, 12:12 AM.
                      have you defeated them?
                      your demons

Comment

Yes did it and it cost way more than the value it brought.

For a rental it's probably not worthwhile doing it just for looks.

Begbie is an awful street!

Comment

interesting

the council RV on that place is $240,000

and that would be based on; recent sales in the area, size, age etc

for the inside the council valuers can only guess that it equals the outside

in this case we can see the inside is far worse than the outside

so assuming, and i have no experience in this field, that it needs $50,000 to fix the inside

a reasonable price for it would be $190,000

certainly not $280,000

and i'd still want to know a lot more about the other units' occupants
                          have you defeated them?
                          your demons

Comment

check out the lovely mold growth in the bathroom and one of the bedrooms, a major challenge here me thinks on a $50k reno, esp when the roof is flat.
                            Better pickings elsewhere imo

Comment

Hi Eri
                              Thanks for that, the place that I am looking at is in Mt Eden, on Esplanade Road in a block of 21, some of which are studios and some are 1 bedroom units. I intend to renovate the unit and live in for a year or two and then retain as a rental. So definitly lookIng at is an owner occupied unit for the time, hence the desire for a pleasing look. Hopefully in a year or two I can rent out more than the current rental of $222 per week.

Comment

Working...
                              X