• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting up a fence on concrete

Can anyone help? I am putting up a fence on concrete but do not know
    how to go about it. Doing it on grass is no problem but is there a way
    I can do it on concrete. Is there some sort of brackets I can use to
    attach the posts to so that the fence stays up.

Thanks

Yep - I think you will be able to find Bowmac brackets that cane be dynabolted into the concrete. I expect the concrete will need to be good quality, however.

I would consider cutting the concrete out in 300x300 sections, to allow you to sink a post.

A $90 230mm angle grinder with a masonry cutting disk will do this. (You will needd more than one disk, though.)

I have done this before. As always, beware of services.

Paul.

Comment

A lot will depend on the height of the fence - brackets bolted to concrete don't give a lot of support. If the fence needs quite a few posts consider hiring a concrete saw - it should cut through the concrete much faster and easier than an angle grinder (and they will cost less than $100 for a half day).

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys. I tend towards getting the concrete cut, more stable and permanent. Although I have never cut concrete before so any tips?

Regards
        FH

Comment

Follow Wayne's advice, and hire a concrete cutter.

For one thing, it is safer than a grinder. I do admit always using the grinder with a great deal of trepidation when cutting concrete. Kickback is a constant concern.

Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDad View Post
            Follow Wayne's advice, and hire a concrete cutter.

For one thing, it is safer than a grinder. I do admit always using the grinder with a great deal of trepidation when cutting concrete. Kickback is a constant concern.

Paul.
            Why the hell would you use a grinder to CUT concrete?.....apart from making the job harder, longer, and ineffective!

The key word here is CUTTING!

My advice to FH would be to get a professional contractor to do the job(unless you were confident that you yourself were completely capable of handling it yourself of course), or even for shits and giggles get a few quotes from some fencing companies to do the whole job.
            Work out the difference between them doing the job or you doing the job. You might be surprised.

Comment

Glen,

You can put a cutting disk on a grinder.

They are not just for grinding.

Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDad View Post
                Glen,

You can put a cutting disk on a grinder.

They are not just for grinding.

Paul.
                I realise that, but not the best choice of equipment to do the job though is it Paul?

All i'm saying is that you're making hard work for yourself.

If for arguements sake it was only a 10 lm section of fence, and we cut your (300 x 300) holes, then we're looking at say 5 post holes at 300 x 300.
                That's 6 lm of cutting at say 100mm depth of concrete?....that's alot of cutting for your 'grinder'. Good luck!

Right tool for the job is all i'm saying.

Comment

A concrete cutter with diamond blade (and water) will cut thru it in no time at all - like cutting butter with a warm knife.

Comment

If you are hiring a concrete saw I would recommend going to a small hire place. We use them all the time and places like Hirepool measure the blade and charge on the amount of wear on the blade where as smaller places charge on how long you have had it, normally works out a lot cheaper.

Once you’ve done the cuts smash the crap out of it with a sledge hammer to break it up.

Allan

Comment

Use experts for the job

http://sunshinefencing.co.nz

Comment

I think they probably have the job done after 3 years.

Comment

Working...
                        X