No announcement yet.

DVS - HRV - MoistureMaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know how they work thanks, even installed one before I found I could buy an equivalent trade and install it myself (all in the thread somewhere) - SmartVent. I don't sell them, just don't like misinformation.

Heating your house cost more than 1 oil heater - seems you opted to have one installed in your roof. Just don't forget the cost of running it :-)

Comment

• my power bill is the same as last winter and power has gone up since then so yea it does cost the same as one oil heater.... it is only 2kw of power....which is the same as my oil heater

Comment

• http://www.otago.ac.nz/news/news/otago018151.html

New University of Otago research suggests that the amount of heat generated in the roof cavity of a typical pre-1940s wooden house is insufficient to heat homes when people would most need the warmth; in winter, on cloudy days and at night.

Comment

• Originally posted by sarah23 View Post
          my power bill is the same as last winter and power has gone up since then so yea it does cost the same as one oil heater.... it is only 2kw of power....which is the same as my oil heater
          so you have 2x 2kw heaters (one in house and one in ceiling). 2kw is 2kw per hour - still costs!

I don't disagree that they work but they aren't magic. You are bringing in cold air from the ceiling (you said it was 12deg) and heating it prior to entering the house. You could use a heat pump (quater the cost to run) to heat the air IN the house (which would be warmer and use less energy).

Comment

• Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
            http://www.otago.ac.nz/news/news/otago018151.html

New University of Otago research suggests that the amount of heat generated in the roof cavity of a typical pre-1940s wooden house is insufficient to heat homes when people would most need the warmth; in winter, on cloudy days and at night.
            Where positive ventilation systems add value is that they force dryer air (from the roof cavity) into the house, forcing out moist air in the house (most benefit occurs during the day when, hopefully, the roof cavity is warmer). Dryer air is easier and cheaper to heat and also reduces mold. People could open some windows to let moist air escape (moist from cooking, showering and breathing (to name a few)) but often don't. HRVs and the like force the air change so, IMHO, are good for LLs as we have little control over tenants behaviours.

Comment

• no your not getting me. i dont use my oil heater any more only my atu system. it has 2 elements in it which is 2kw (1kw per element) i pay 22c per kw on my power bill which you will find at the back of your bill. so that means i pay 44c and hour to run the atu system which warms the whole house as i have a vent in every room except bathroom and kitchen of course. a heat pump heats the lounge which is where most people have them. I didnt go for the heat pump because then i would have to get a heat share which would have cost even more. the atu is only a top a feature it aint a heat pump in the ceiling. it only 2kw not 6kw like most heat pumps.

Comment

• Originally posted by sarah23 View Post
                i have a vent in every room except bathroom and kitchen of course.
                Why of course?

Comment

• thats why we have an extractor fan in the bathroom and a oven fan in the kitchen. They sort the steam problem caused by cooking and showering.

Comment

• So if you ever have a fire in the house, the smoke will nicely be distributed to all rooms endangering all occupants lives. Air should be taken from outside and passed through a heat exchanger, not straight from the roof cavity.

Comment

• But that famous rugby player has one :P

Comment

• Originally posted by DazRaz View Post
                        So if you ever have a fire in the house, the smoke will nicely be distributed to all rooms endangering all occupants lives. Air should be taken from outside and passed through a heat exchanger, not straight from the roof cavity.
                        That's a good point! Never thought of that.
                        You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

• Originally posted by DazRaz View Post
                          So if you ever have a fire in the house, the smoke will nicely be distributed to all rooms endangering all occupants lives. Air should be taken from outside and passed through a heat exchanger, not straight from the roof cavity.
                          SmartVent make one of those too. I'm starting to sound like a salesman for SmartVent. My only interest is that I can buy them trade and install them myself - save a couple of thou.

Comment

Working...
                          X