replied
    lol~

tally ho and then some eh what!

Leave a comment:

• Heg
    replied
    Originally posted by drelly View Post
    Hey Steve,

They probably hang out in the same place!

cheers,
    Dave.
    nudge nudge wink wink

Leave a comment:

• drelly
    replied
    Hey Steve,

They probably hang out in the same place!

cheers,
    Dave.

Leave a comment:

• Stevegoodey
    replied
    Hi drelly,
    I think your avatar and mine look like they would be great chums.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• thomas8282
    replied
    We like Sarahd's reply.
    We are recent folks here too. However, part of PI and any "journey of learning" is looking back at our early actions and thinking how we might have done it differently.
    We are fortunate to find this site, great to meet some of you recently.
    We notice that its nice to wait for a spread of opinions over several pages to get lots of valid opinions!

Leave a comment:

• green as grass
    replied
    Hi stixster
    Don't let the comments of other PT'ers put you off this forum. It has a lot of great ppl on it & (includeing the ones that comment ) Sometimes you just end up takeing it on the chin. Your experience is a concept that I had thought about in the past.
    Have a nice Christmas!

Leave a comment:

• drelly
    replied
    I can relate to how Stixster feels too. When I first got really interested in property, I found a property forum (can't remember it's name) and started a few threads asking questions. The "old hands" immediately slapped me down for "multiple-thread-starting", which seemed to be punishable by death. It really felt like cold water was being poured on my enthusiasm and I never went back. Maybe it was an over-reaction on my part but first impressions are very important.

Leave a comment:

• Heg
    replied
    Originally posted by revdev View Post
    Actually Heg, the feeling I have recently is that PT has climbed away from a low point of 6 - 8 weeks ago. Most of us would know what discussion/s I am referring to here.

Onwards and upwards!
    G
    I hope so! And I think I know what you are referring to....

Leave a comment:

• Ivanhoe
    replied
    The main difference is that the agent is selling on behalf of the vendor and then taking a commision,
    YES
    whereas the trader is putting a deal together between the vendor and purchaser, and taking a profit in the middle.
    YES - and agent acted more like trader in this case. But agents should not cross the line (by the same token traders should not cross the line either) - and stick to their job description - "selling on behalf of the vendor and then taking a commision" not "taking a profit in the middle"
    Stix obviously got what he'she wanted - and that's great - but this practice could end up in court and get agent fined as it breaks couple of laws gouverning RE industry in this country - even if stix will say it's OK. (I understand the sellers in the recent court case where quite happy too - untill they realised that their property has just been sold for nearly 1mil more)
    Stix, when I sell privately I actually invite agents to bring their cash buyers - my price is $$$ (that's cash in MY pocket) whatever your comission is (I don't care how much $$ or %%) goes on top - actually I would even drop the price for the agent a bit as their comission is tax-deductible. But if agent suggest this arrangement - it's not right.
    Last edited by Ivanhoe; 18-12-2006, 03:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sarahd
    replied
    I think Stixster over reacted a little bit.

However, I am a "Freshie" like Stixster and know how he feels. Sometimes you get all excited about a new idea and post it, and then you get a reality hit by the replies of the more experienced people, and you do feel a bit naive.

But the replies are always there to get you to think more about whether it is a great deal or not, or to mention pitfalls you haven't thought about.

This forum has helped me really think about some deals and comments have helped me increase my rents!

Where else would you get instant replies by experienced property people willing to tell you their (differing) opinions? Nowhere!

Stixster, I think you need to take it not so personally ...

Leave a comment:

• cube
    replied
    Originally posted by BusyLizzy
    and all the price conditioning that goes on
    I'll reply for xris here - given that you got 'full' price within 5 days, I'll hazard a guess that your property was 'undervalued' relative to the market, thus making it attractive to the Trademe watchers. Conditioning happens when the vendor has an unrealistic idea of a property's worth (often put there by the agent buying the listing!)

Your price being low may have been a deliberate under-selling, to get a quick sale, a complete surprise to you and everyone else in the market or naivity on your part for not knowing the market (I'm picking a combination of the first and second reasons).

As for establishing a price and letting the 'agent' keep anything they can acheive over that - isn't that exactly what property traders are doing? Finding a motivated vendor and agreeing a price that is what the vendor is happy to accept. Mr/Ms investor then goes off and sells the property at 'full market value', and pockets the difference.

The main difference is that the agent is selling on behalf of the vendor and then taking a commision, whereas the trader is putting a deal together between the vendor and purchaser, and taking a profit in the middle.

Makes defining an Agent (or an Agent's salesperson) interesting, doesn't it

cube
    Last edited by cube; 18-12-2006, 02:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• revdev
    replied
    Originally posted by Heg View Post
    I was with a group of PI's today and we discussed how much this forum had changed (for the worse) recently. Such a shame. I for one am spending less and less time on the forum as I cannot be bothered to wade through all of the bitching and backbiting that seems to crop up in almost every thread.
    Actually Heg, the feeling I have recently is that PT has climbed away from a low point of 6 - 8 weeks ago. Most of us would know what discussion/s I am referring to here.

Onwards and upwards!
    G
    Last edited by revdev; 18-12-2006, 01:13 PM. Reason: clarification

Leave a comment:

• payjisan
    replied
    Originally posted by BusyLizzy View Post
    I don't think there was a problem, Payjisan. Stixster was just sharing a recent experience. I for one, found it interesting.
    Exactly. Stixter however seems to have a problem with the thoughts and comments that he/she openly invited after posting the story, none of which btw suggested any thing 'stupid, naive and/or ignorant' on Stixter's part! I apologise for taking the focus away from the actual point of the thread, but frankly the reply Stixter gave to the posts made by Ivanhoe, Steve and xris was the most precious little whinge the likes of which I havent seen on an internet discussion forum for quite some time.

golly gosh and gee whiz, harden up son~

Leave a comment:

• BusyLizzy
    replied
    I don't think there was a problem, Payjisan. Stixster was just sharing a recent experience. I for one, found it interesting.

I recently sold privately via Trademe, and luckily got full asking price within 5 days of listing. However, I had been anticipating an onslaught of agents, and had pondered how I would deal with it.

I think I would have liked this approach. We knew how much we wanted, we had a good feel for the MV, and if an agent could bring an offer that was over our asking price, then good on them, and let them keep the extra as commission.

In hindsite, given the level of interest, we could have gone for another $10k or so privately. And perhaps an agent could have gotten an even higher price. Guess we'll never know... but what mattered to us was:
    - we didn't have to deal with the intrusion of agents, and all the price conditioning that goes on
    - we got a price that we wanted
    - we got a very quick sale that allows us to progress our next set of plans quicker than we anticipated.

The approach that Stister's agent took is interesting and I think I would have gone with it myself, if approached. Having said that, I CAN see the risk of it being abused, as outlined by Steve G. But presumably the real estate institute has rules to deal with agents taking unfair advantage of people (eg the recent court case).

PS Stixter, don't let one or two pompous and ornery posters keep you out of the forum! There's plenty of posters here with good and interesting ideas. Some posters just likes to keep us challenged in our way of thinking.
    Last edited by BusyLizzy; 18-12-2006, 12:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• payjisan
    replied
    Originally posted by stixster View Post

Thoughts and comments always welcomed.
    um, so whats your problem?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X