Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's in a number?..

Hi all,

So here I am wandering around PT on a hot summers day..I look at the NZ section and notice an article titled -

Seven Secret Laws of Wealth (Peter J Hensley)

and then everytime I open a page I have got Sean Wood the Seven Million Dollar Man, staring straight at me, awakening my investing genius.

Hang on (7) minutes I think and I wander over to my bookshelf and find..

Money Secrets of the Rich - Learn the 7 Steps to Financial Freedom (John Burley)
    7 Habits of Highly Effective People Stephen R Covey
    Seven Ways to Wealth Frank & Muriel Newman
    The Seven Ages of Money Tim Blue

OK so I think I'm getting the message

G
    Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

Revdev

Seven is a figure related to a sales theory that seems to be the magic number that people will read, buy, look at, listen, purchase, sell etc etc etc - No more or no less.

Cant find the exact info to quote to you.

Cheers
    Matt

Comment

Revdev,

In 1956 a psychologist George Miller conduceted research which suggested that the capacity of the human short-term memory is seven itens (plus or minus two). Perhaps this explains why so many "theories" have seven items - easier to remember? (I think I only remember 7 (plus or minus 2) things from my time as a student. Miller's research is one of those 7 things.)

Paul.

Comment

Actually seven is the number for Jesus in the bible.It is the number of completion and perfection. God designed it about 10 thousand years ago when He created it and everybody else takes credit for it.!!

Comment

Some very interesting facts about the number 7 can be found here.
          My favourite is that it is a 'happy' number

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_(number)
          Jo Birch
          Looking for someone to manage your next project or event? Then call now!
          +61 450 148 678

Comment

Originally posted by pooomba View Post
            Actually seven is the number for Jesus in the bible.It is the number of completion and perfection. God designed it about 10 thousand years ago when He created it and everybody else takes credit for it.!!
            Dean,

You're not one of those people who seriously believes that the universe was created (around) 10,000 years ago, fossil record intact, are you? I can't understand why Creationists have to take everything in the Bible (Old Testament) so literally. Can't we just say that God created everything many billions of years ago, and that geological time is a (roughly) correct measure of time? (I don't believe this, but it is a more consistent myth than the standard Creationist myth.)

Paul.

Comment

Can't we just say that God created everything many billions of years ago, and that geological time is a (roughly) correct measure of time?
              I could but that is a load of nonsense so why would I?
              The "father" of evolutionary theory himself cried out for forgiveness from God on his deathbed. Even Darwin didn't believe his own theories in the end and they have been systematically proven to be absolute nonsense and increasingly so as science finds itself confirming biblical creationism. We are too wonderfully made not to have been created by an intelligent designer.

Comment

We are too wonderfully made not to have been created by an intelligent designer.
                Well I certainly am. And modesty is my greatest feature
                Jo Birch
                +61 450 148 678

Comment

Looking at your picture I like your ears!!

Comment

Looking at your picture I like your ears!!
                    I think you mean 'ear'.....
                    Jo Birch
                    +61 450 148 678

Comment

When you stand side on I can see from one ear through to the other one

Comment

Most intelligent design theories I know of will argue that Creationism is consistent with the general tenets of evolutionary theory, except for the Evolutionist's claim about the origins of life. My suggestion about accomodating geological time within a Creationist framework was an attempt to suggest a more plausible theism than that held by strict adherents to the Old Testament.

The fact that Darwin didn't believe his theory in his last days is neither here nor there when it comes to assessing the truth of that theory. Many contemporary Creationists like to point out that Stephen Hawking is renouncing the Big Bang theory as an account of the origins of the universe, and so a creationist account must be true. Again, I would say that what makes a theory true is not who believes it, or how many people believe it, but whether it corresponds with the facts. The problem with questions about origins (of the universe, of sentient life) is that the facts are often inaccessible.

For what its worth, the reason that I am an Atheist is due not to my holding any scientific theory about how life or the universe all began, but due to the so-called "problem of evil". I can't reconcile all of the world's ills with the idea that there is an omni-benevolent, omnipotent entity somewhere out there. Perhaps some intelligent designer did create all we see. But while It might be intelligent, it sure has a mean streak. Why else (for example) would It allow innocent children to be beaten to death? Presumably It is powerful enough to intervene.

Paul.

Comment

aaaah - stop with the compliments Pooomba
                          Jo Birch
                          +61 450 148 678

Comment

My Nan always used to say "never discuss religion or politics"
                            'Each to their own beliefs' is my motto when it comes to such matters.
                            Thats my 7 cents worth
                            Jo Birch
                            +61 450 148 678

Comment

I' d say that was worth $7 rather than 7c. (1 for every day of the week)

Comment

Working...
                              X