The wheels fall off at Tenancy Services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The wheels fall off at Tenancy Services

Tenancy Services introduced their much-published new way of handling Tenancy Tribunal applications this Monday the 19th June.
    Too bad someone in power forgot to calculate how many applications per day they normally receive. Property Managers all round the country have been up in arms about the hopeless service. Tenancy Services have directed that there are only three ways to lodge applications. You can fax the applications in, post them, or email them in. Most of us normally either fax applications in or drop them into the local office. They will no longer permit the applications to be dropped into local offices.
    Today I tried to lodge my first application. My fax machine scanned all the pages then dialled up the number in Wellington. I was a bit alarmed to notice that the wonderful new forms took ages to be transmitted. The machine obviously did not like all those colours and various shading. As the toll call carried on and on I was getting a bit annoyed at the cost of the toll call. Then beep the call failed and all the repeat attempts by my clever machine resulted in no answer by Tenancy Services fax.
    So in accordance with the instructions on the forms I rang the call centre. After a lengthy delay they answered and the only answer to my dilemma was to post the applications in. They have replaced a system that worked with a hopeless service that does not work. We now have a third world tenancy service that has deliberate built in processes to prevent applications proceeding in a timely manner. One would have thought that if they really cared about their customers, like we have to, they would have at least communicated their problems to us all. Have you noticed how many civil servants think that if you centralise a service it must be better and more cost effective.
    They have tried to fix something that was not broke. Now they have well and truly smashed it. Hold it folks. Breaking news. At 4.30 pm this afternoon one of their junior staff rang and said it will be fixed with a new machine on Monday. Boy I cannot wait to try the new steam driven machine they might have bought. Hold onto you seats landlords. I think we are about to experience a jerk.

Originally posted by Glenn
    I was a bit alarmed to notice that the wonderful new forms took ages to be transmitted. The machine obviously did not like all those colours and various shading. As the toll call carried on and on I was getting a bit annoyed at the cost of the toll call.

Well noticed, Glenn. Just wait till you're asked to
    fax photoghraphs!

It amazes me how little form designers realise the
    implications of shading in form design. On some
    occasions, I've 'reproduced' a facsimilie of the form,
    myself, sans shading. That makes scanning far more
    cost efficient.

My only suggestion is before 8am or after 6pm for such
    mission impropertyable transmission 'exercises.'
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Perry

!

I've 'reproduced' a facsimilie of the form,
      myself, sans shading. That makes scanning far more
      cost efficient.
      I have been trying to get them to let us managers use a word format of the form like we did before. This enables me to store them in a folder on the computer.
      The answer to this was that TS needs the number on each form. I did point out the the vouchers have a unique number, but that suggestion went nowhere.
      So having your own reproduced scanned form is not acceptable "they say" because of the number.
      The old application forms used to have a number also and they managed to cope with the word format form that had no number.
      I suspect I was talking to another clone that was not programmed to think outside of the square.
      I have been told that the forms are specified in the RTA regulations that get issued from time to time. Again I did notice that the word format forms were not specified in the old regulations in any case. So it appears they are happy to break their own rules when it suits them.
      Perhaps it is time for all the imports from other Government Departments who seem to be infiltrating the halls of power in the department of building and housing, to be sent back to their old warm seats and let the old workers get on with the job. At least it will make the leaky homes resolution service look a bit better if the Tenancy Tribunal becomes as useless and slow.

Comment

Some legislation has a section regarding formats. Such
        usually include words to the effect that "want of form"
        is not sufficient grounds for declaring an action to be
        ultra vires.

Seen anything like that in the RTA? If so, you might be
        able to 'duplicate' a form in Word format, so long as
        you include the unique number off the form that
        you're replacing.

But, it's probably not worth getting off-side with the
        bureacrats, even if you are within your rights.
        Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Comment

I have just tried at 10pm on a Saturday night to fax them another application. They have disconnected their fax machine and the line does not even get answered. Not even a recorded message telling you they have given up in disgust. Perhaps we need to have a whip around at the pub and send them a donation for a bigger one.

Comment

Most 'newer' faxes have quite a lot of RAM to receive
            faxes, even when they're out of paper. Perhaps there's
            no electricity, over the Straits?

Comment

Perry - I as surprised they dont receive faxes on a computer rather than get screeds of paper churning out (but then it is the government).

Why not scan and email. Then you have a electronic copy aswell.

Scanners are cheap now and some printers even come with them to save on desk space. If you are only scanning documents, you dont need a good one (only if you want high quality photos).

Comment

Nah they got lots of power over there.
                Havnt you seen that big fan over the top of the beehive.

Comment

Hi CJ

Re: electronic documents. I thought I read somewhere that they won't accept e-mail applications- but , apparently TS are to initiate online applications & payment by credit card next month. Hopefully fax problems are just an interim phase and the dept will be up to the millenium with thier technology soon. Yay- can't wait!

Comment

I was under the impression that emailed documents still do not have the same legal status as posted mail, but that faxed documents do. I may be wrong on this but if it is true it might explain the reluctance to use email.

However, my very strongly held opinion is that TS cannot get their act together...again.

xris

Comment

Somehow I think you are doing this the wrong way around .

You are chasing after the tenant, = you are on the loosing foot to start with.
                      It should be that the tenant is chasing you. ( if at all possible )
                      Ok it’s not always possible, but in a lot of cases it could be .
                      Let the tenant have the run around with the tribunal if you can .
                      I had a few occasions 2 in last 10 years, where I got so fed up with a tenants
                      I removed them from the properties I owned ( kind of stuff the tribunal )
                      Result : threats to take to the tribunal and what have you, but nothing ever came of it.
                      If you are right, and the tenants are wrong, give them a warning and if that doesn’t
                      work, get them out of your property " fast " , Tribunal or no tribunal .
                      This may not be the way to do things in "Kiwi land ", but ………..it's my house.

Comment

The Electronic Transactions Act 2002 does - in general
                        terms - specify the legal status of electronic transmissions.
                        It's a while since I looked through it, but I seem to recall
                        being favourably impressed with the 'positions' taken in
                        regard to differing circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry
                          The Electronic Transactions Act 2002 does - in general
                          terms - specify the legal status of electronic transmissions.
                          It's a while since I looked through it, but I seem to recall
                          being favorably impressed with the 'positions' taken in
                          regard to differing circumstances.
                          Since it has been discussed.
                          For anybody who wishes to research various government codes, act, etc book mark this site

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/brows...t=pal_statutes

It has the Electronic act mentioned, real estate acts, rating etc

Comment

Link to Act

Here is a link stright to the act.
                            The Son of Glenn

Comment

Working...
                            X