Ute Tax - expect the cost to be passed on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ute Tax - expect the cost to be passed on

If you think home builds, renovations and maintenance is already costly - expect to pay your tradies more from January 2022.

The UTE TAX - is not just on farmers but also your much-loved tradie. Plus they will pay on average a $3000 penalty for purchasing a gas-guzzling ute new or second-hand arriving from offshore.

What's fundamentally wrong with this initiative is the workers that use these vehicles haven't got an EV alternative so they're getting stung without a way out.

That travel fee that you see on your tradies invoice will be more come Jan 2022!

cheers,

Donna
    The penalty under the governement's new Clean Car Discount will apply to the likes of the Toyota Hilux and Ford Ranger.
    Last edited by donna; 16-07-2021, 08:52 PM.
    SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Jacinda and team are simply not listening.

There is already a growing divide between rich and poor in the nation.

But ute taxes, the SNA "land grab", other land reforms and regulations are fuelling a rural / urban divide as well.

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
      If you think home builds, renovations and maintenance is already costly - expect to pay your tradies more from January 2022.

The UTE TAX - is not just on farmers but also your much-loved tradie. Plus they will pay on average a $3000 penalty for purchasing a gas-guzzling ute new or second-hand arriving from offshore.

What's fundamentally wrong with this initiative is the workers that use these vehicles haven't got an EV alternative so they're getting stung without a way out.

That travel fee that you see on your tradies invoice will be more come Jan 2022!

cheers,

Donna
      Have you worked out what a $5k additional cost on a multi-year asset like a ute ($70k or so) would add to the hourly rate of anyone?
      Bugger all!
      Don't forget that +$5k is also depreciable.

Comment

My tradie turns up in a hybrid van, so I don't buy into the argument.
        lets face it, they are only buying 80k+ because they can charge that on you.
        I see a lot of old timers still driving cheap Toyotas and still turn up on time, whereas others have a lifestyle confused with real work.

Comment

No new taxes. It was a Labour pre-election commit -- right?

Comment

Yeah the tax is hard to swallow, but realistically EVs are coming and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Tesla Cybertruck has already over 1million pre orders, Ford and GM have designed Electric trucks so in a few years they will be on NZ farms.
            Toyota is an outlier because they have fallen behind ,there already asking the Japanese government for more time.

I guess the government's just getting everyone ahead and ready for the ev green tidal wave coming this decade.

I wouldn't advise buying a brand new internal combustion engine truck, the re-sale is going to be crap compared to a Ev truck.

More technology, no fuel, no maintenance and most likely self driving down on the farm.
            I'd make my truck last as long as I could so I could buy an electric truck in a year or 2.
            Benefits:

Tax Rebate
            80% saving in Fuel
            No maintenance besides changing tires and window wiper fluid
            No road user charges
            Self driving, great for supporting the local pub
            Faster and more powerful than conventional trucks

What's not to like?
            Last edited by Jeffa; 20-07-2021, 02:38 AM.

Comment

If they can make an electric tug boat you can electrify anything!
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSX97HnsQxw

Comment

What's not to like?
                Will they have the torque of a combustion engine for towing my big boat? if so I'm in.

Govt need to get going and build lots and lots of fast charge stations around the country quick smart, this needs to happen before thousands of EVs arrive on boats.
                Last edited by donna; 20-07-2021, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chook View Post
                  Will they have the torque of a combustion engine for towing my big boat? if so I'm in.

Govt need to get going and build lots and lots of fast charge stations around the country quick smart, this needs to happen before thousands of EVs arrive on boats.
                  Generally, they have more and smoother torque than an internal combustion engine vehicle.

Comment

Who's the winner with the charging stations? Electricity cos - so they should be investing in the charging stations - in collaboration with commercial property - e.g. supermarkets have added them in their car parks - a perfect solution - charge your charge while you shop.

What of the petrol stations that will be redundant - they should gear up to being EV charge stations - Z has started.

30 cents a litre
                    20 - 30 min charge = 100 Km (approx)

Comment

Who's the winner with the charging stations? Electricity cos - so they should be investing in the charging stations - in collaboration with commercial property - e.g. supermarkets have added them in their car parks - a perfect solution - charge your charge while you shop.
                      Most people will charge at home and find 400km range enough.
                      I haven't seen a vehicle charging at the local supermarket yet.

Comment

^^ I see it at PaknSave Kapiti. Might be travellers passing through north or south.

Maybe it’s cheaper than charging at home? You can also hire EVs.

Comment

^^ I see it at PaknSave Kapiti. Might be travellers passing through north or south.

Maybe it’s cheaper than charging at home? You can also hire EVs.
                          Could be - doubt it is locals since I doubt that the power is cheaper at home. Maybe it is and some people are making an arbitrage play - all the power to them (pun intended).
                          If you were a local you wouldn't hire an EV would you?
                          These charging points are useful for the traveller.

I saw a new charging station being built way out in nowhere on the Taupo-Napier highway. I would have thought it would be a good business move for the Tarawera Cafe halfway along - fill the car and you.

Comment

I have two EV's. I charge them everywhere I can. Regardless of the time I am at the property. It would not be unusual to have the total battery usage for a trip to the supermarket paid for by the free electricity available at said supermarket. Often, the EV chargers are low down on the parking building levels. Full I hear you say? No, never been full and never had to go beyond the second floor for parking. My fuel bill has dropped by over 90% (still have an ICE car). Repairs and maintenance? What is that? Washer fluid and tyres every now and then.
                            www.3888444.co.nz
                            Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
                              I have two EV's. I charge them everywhere I can. Regardless of the time I am at the property. It would not be unusual to have the total battery usage for a trip to the supermarket paid for by the free electricity available at said supermarket.
                              So the charge is free at the supermarket?
                              A big plus!

Comment

Working...
                              X