Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cost difference sqm for Terrace Housing versus standalone? (Auckland)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost difference sqm for Terrace Housing versus standalone? (Auckland)

Hi,

Does anyone have any knowledge of how much cheaper per sqm it is to build terrace housing versus standalone? either $ or %. I am interested in Terrace Housing costs.

I assume benefits/things that reduce price for terrace housing is things like shared common wall, efficiency gains like builder and tradies on site doing several dwellings at once, maybe bulk buy discounts for ovens? Any thoughts on what gives biggest gains also appreciated.

Thanks!

Don't know how much use this artical is but here it is.
    New houses cost less in Christchurch, but those costs are rising faster than in Auckland. On a per sq m basis, multi unit housing costs even more. Moving to the outskirts saves 10%

Comment

It can be more expensive to do terrace housing but you may get more on the site. The common wall needs to be fire rated from foundation through to roof. It also depends whether you are doing fee simple titles or the whole block remains in one title. Structurally fee simple titles are more expensive because of fire walls. I have built both and found common walls add a lot to the build cost. Hard to say by how much. A lot of factors to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by charlotte30 View Post
        It can be more expensive to do terrace housing but you may get more on the site. The common wall needs to be fire rated from foundation through to roof. It also depends whether you are doing fee simple titles or the whole block remains in one title. Structurally fee simple titles are more expensive because of fire walls. I have built both and found common walls add a lot to the build cost. Hard to say by how much. A lot of factors to consider.
        Thank you for your reply. That is very interesting as I was under the impression that a shared wall would reduce build costs (as opposed to 2 separate / 1 metre gap between dwellings) walls.Fire rated cost impact makes sense. Current thought is under 1 title but designed/plumbed to potentially put on own titles down the line.

We are thinking 3 storey/4bedroom @140-150sqm approx. Any thoughts you can share on cost per sqm for terrace housing in general? we are wanting low-mid end as for rentals not reselling.

Comment

Working...
        X