Rental Supply Up 11% Nationwide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rental Supply Up 11% Nationwide

." Trade Me Property spokesman Logan Mudge said nationwide rental supply was up 11 per cent in the year to December. It was the highest year on year supply increase seen in recent years, he said. "However, national demand was also up by 13 per cent year-on-year in December meaning we didn't see prices cool off as a result of increased market supply."
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/rotorua-daily-post/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503438&objectid=12417313 – 1 February [Paywalled]

Can some smart cookie out there please explain / answer the following?
    1. Has nationwide rental supply really increased 11% year over year to December or is Trade Me confusing an increase in rental supply (i.e. new builds or usage of property) with rental listings – which are often a function of turnover?
    2. Where is the 13% national demand increase coming from?
    Last edited by Sanya; 08-02-2021, 02:01 PM.

My guess is it is based on their rental listings.

Increase in demand - my guess is people returning home. Also maybe the 'measurement for demand' for TradeMe is views and clicks of rental listings.

cheers,

Donna
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
      My guess is it is based on their rental listings.

Yes. I agree.

Originally posted by donna View Post

Increase in demand - my guess is people returning home. Also maybe the 'measurement for demand' for TradeMe is views and clicks of rental listings.
      Good point on the views and clicks but could people returning home really account for 13% national demand increase? Returns are capped by isolation resources and apparently there is now a six month waiting list because the resources are insufficient.

Comment

The below site has the monthly Trademe rental (and property) price reports. There is a note at the bottom of each report about the data.

The reports go back a long way but the site was changed and the older reports are somewhere else though still available.

Comment

Hi Sanya,

I think many landlords evict tenants before the new regulations and advertise the house for new tenants

Comment

Could the demand be up because 13% more people are trying to move than are normally trying to move?

11% oversupply makes sense to me with borders closed.

Comment

Working...
            X