Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very Rough estimates for some Repair jobs in a house recommended by a building report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Rough estimates for some Repair jobs in a house recommended by a building report

Hi there

I shall be thankful if the members can give me a ball park figure for some jobs which have been identified in a builders report
    I have to submit my offer tomorrow so any help however small will be really appreciated

Its a Cedar weatherboard house of 120 SQM 3 storied high built in 1987. The roof is Cement tiles with external guttering and wide eaves
    Design wise i think the builder did a good job except the cladding extending into the ground. but the owner has not done any preventive maintenance in the past 6 years that he has owned the house as it has been rented.

the ground floor has the garage and the storage room and is monolithic cladding of harditex sheets
    1st floor the living room, kitchen and dining room has cedar weatherboard
    2nd floor bedrooms and bathroom has cedar weatherboard

Problems identified by the building inspector

1. The harditex claddings are extended into the ground and the inspector has recommended that there should be a gap between the ground and the sheet, and that the sheet end should be flashed and sealed with the foundation wall. The running length of the sheets would be 20-22M

2. Some harditex sheets have hairline cracks and some have been damaged slightly

3. The damaged gutter requires replacement and a better flashing system installed to the front north corner roof junction over the dining room which had been leaking.

4. Due to the leak from the roof, the windows of 1 bedroom and the laundry room jambs are swollen on the top and bottom. Also high moisture reading in these 2 areas

5. All windows and doors as they are made of timber require to be resealed as the rubber seals have deteriorated

6 The flashing system around the skylight does show surface corrosion and this need to be first treated with a rust neutraliser and painted for added protection

if the members can spare some time and give some figures below each item as I have absolutely no clue whatsoever whether it can be 10 or 1,000 or 10,000, you would be really helping me out

Thanks for advising
    Last edited by jamesnz; 28-10-2016, 12:33 AM.

Did you pay for the inspection? Why not ask the guy who did it to include estimates? I know of an inspector in Wellington who can do that for you.
    Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
      Did you pay for the inspection? Why not ask the guy who did it to include estimates? I know of an inspector in Wellington who can do that for you.
      Hi Nick

Unfortunately the report was done by the vendor and not me.
      It was done by Pro Check and I dont think they do repairs also so I am not very confident that they would entertain me whole heartedly especially as I was not the client.

I have to submit my offer by 2pm so have to get the offer ready by noon
      I was not intending to submit an offer but changed my mind today and hence the last minute rush
      A friend who lives nearby told me that there was no mad rush of buyers in the open house and so I should try to bid

Thanks for advising
      Last edited by jamesnz; 28-10-2016, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Hi moisture levels, likely asbestos, clearly poor building practices ... You're breaking all your rules you posted only 4-6 wks ago...

Comment

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
          Hi moisture levels, likely asbestos, clearly poor building practices ... You're breaking all your rules you posted only 4-6 wks ago...
          Asbestos is unlikely in 1987

Comment

Bid with a 3 day DD clause, then get a builder in.
            Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Originally posted by motivated View Post
              Asbestos is unlikely in 1987
              asbestos was still being used in many products into the 90's in NZ

Comment

asbestos was still being used in many products into the 90's in NZ
                Not in flatsheet hardies products

Comment

Hi DBTH

The major poor building practice pointed out was the cladding going into the ground instead of terminating in the foundation
                  I have seen that in many builders report of houses built prior to 1990
                  I think it must be only in the 1990 that the engineers realized that the practice is leading to moisture ingress into the timber framing by capillary action and stopped it.

The main reason i feel for poor condition of the property is due to absence of any maintenance whatsoever in the past few years.
                  I will get an asbestos test done, but it is unlikely as per the Agent.

Thanks for advising

Comment

Originally posted by motivated View Post
                    Not in flatsheet hardies products
                    asbestos is in many many more products than just sheeting... Possibly more dangerous in the other products as people don't even think it might be asbestos... insulation, ceilings and floor coverings to name a few.

Comment

Hi there

Any estimates?

Thanks for advising

Comment

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
                        Bid with a 3 day DD clause, then get a builder in.
                        Hi Nick

Have submitted the bid

The Agent has informed me that if I am not the highest but i am not totally out of the race, what ever that is worth

Will inform me in a couple of days

Most probably will ask me to up my bid and go unconditional.

But the problem is still have not found a reliable and skilled builder who can inspect and give me a true quote on the works to be done.

Lets see how it goes

Thanks for advising
                        Last edited by jamesnz; 29-10-2016, 01:04 AM.

Comment

From my experience, prospective purchasers do make a habit of contacting contractors just days before an auction or at end of DD period to get "an idea of cost to remediate" Do you have any idea how long it takes to sit down and go through your list of differing items and come up with a costing? Probably not. Not only that it often happens that even if the potential buyer is successful in purchasing, the nature of the beast is that the costing is then distributed to other contractors/builders in order to get a cheaper price.
                          For the life of me I cannot understand why people who don't have the skills, knowledge or contacts within the industry purchase these properties. There are plenty of skilled tradies out there, young guys looking for a do up as a family home that could tackle these places no sweat, but they don't. Moisture ingresses, issues with bottom plates, unless you know what you're doing, walk away.

Comment

Working...
                          X