Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody done an In situ Boron Treatment for UTKD Timber framing to prevent Rot

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anybody done an In situ Boron Treatment for UTKD Timber framing to prevent Rot

    Hi there

    Has any member got an insitu Boron treatment done to prevent rot in Timber framing ?

    I tried to google but could not get any hit except "Step up group StopRot treatment" in AKL

    I have asked them for details but if any member can provide any additional information on any other agency, how it is done, its efficacy and tentative costs for a 130SQM 2 storied house.

    Thanks for advising
    Last edited by jamesnz; 27-10-2016, 04:08 PM.

  • #2
    Boron may slow rot where the timber is constantly wet (leaky house) but it won't prevent it entirely.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Wayne View Post
      Boron may slow rot where the timber is constantly wet (leaky house) but it won't prevent it entirely.
      Hi Wayne

      I fully understand that its not a solution to a leaky home
      The idea behind the Boron treatment is to prevent the rot in case there is a rare leakage as after all it is a monolithic cladding.

      Has any member actually got it done ?
      Is it done from inside the house after removing the gib boards ?


      Thanks for advising
      Last edited by jamesnz; 28-10-2016, 05:39 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        There is a process called Rotstop which is onsite injection. I think it is step up people.

        It is a good idea and deals with the underlying untreated problem. It should have been made mandatory before anyone thought about a reclad.

        The process includes ongoing monitoring so what is the downside?

        small holes are made in gib that are used to insert injection point 2 per stud (?) or there is a foam system being devoloped. Both systems have unintended sde affect/benefit of dealing with molds in the wall at the same time.

        this process has not had industry support due to vested interests making money out of the reclads and politics in councils. That is a disgrace and a scandal still to play out

        Comment


        • #5
          Hi there

          I had emailed them asking for details

          Have not responded
          Maybe because I am in Wellington and they are confined to AKL only

          Thanks for advising

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by John the builder View Post
            small holes are made in gib that are used to insert injection point 2 per stud (?) or there is a foam system being devoloped. Both systems have unintended sde affect/benefit of dealing with molds in the wall at the same time.
            What happens with the insulation in the wall?

            Comment


            • #7
              The Boron treatment is to prevent the rot. To timber will stop subterranean termites from eating the timber that has been sprayed.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by erikjamison View Post
                The Boron treatment is to prevent the rot. To timber will stop subterranean termites from eating the timber that has been sprayed.
                E

                this was discussing an injection process that saturates the whole cross-section of the timber

                Comment

                Working...
                X