Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

' Specific Engineering design' Wind zone - Worrisome ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ' Specific Engineering design' Wind zone - Worrisome ?

Hi there

A house that I am looking at has been classified as 'Specific Engineering design' in the LIM under wind zone

I googled it but did not get much information except that the wind speed is even higher then the ' Very high 'classification under which most houses in Wellington fall

Is it actually worrisome for future maintenance and is there a price reduction I should incorporate in the price for this wind factor ?

are these houses difficult to sell ?

Thanks for advising
    Last edited by jamesnz; 23-10-2016, 06:59 PM.

Surely if it is an existing house then it has already been specifically designed - the work is done.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
      Surely if it is an existing house then it has already been specifically designed - the work is done.
      Hi Wayne

Its already constructed so that is out of the way.
      I was just worried if buyers are put away with this high wind speed, or nobody is really bothered when buying. ?

Thanks for advising

Comment

Originally posted by jamesnz View Post
        I was just worried if buyers are put away with this high wind speed, or nobody is really bothered when buying. ?
        It's Wellington - high wind speed is expected
        I doubt it would worry someone.
        Assuming you are comparing the price with similar properties you wouldn't be looking for a discount - it is what it is.

Comment

Agree with Wayne.
          It wouldn't worry me.
          I own a house in what I would think of as a low wind zone that is classified as high wind zone.
          In 2013 I got a resource consent to change its use and the engineers said it was fine as is and I didn't need to do any strengthening work.
          It was built in 1904.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesnz View Post
            A house that I am looking at has been classified as 'Specific Engineering design' in the LIM under wind zone
            As I but dimly recall, specific design requires engineer's calculations [calcs] to be submitted with the application, because there is something about the way the house is to be built that is not 'standard.'

Non-specific-design is a more standard type of construction that does not require such [often expensive] engineer's calculations.

As a sort-of example, when submitting a resource consent application . . .

A non-specific-design house plan X to be built on a flat section may be submitted without calcs.

But if the same house plan X is to be built on a pole platform on a sloping hillside section, then calcs would be required for the pole platform on which the non-specific-design house is to sit.

Or something like that.

Comment

We own one! It's very windy - even for Wellington - however the house was built in the 80s so figured it was fit for purpose as still standing! We've done extensive renovations - and frankly the coastal location is a bigger issue than the wind. The only specific thing I've come across is that frame less glass balustrade is prohibited in this zone (the framed is fine).

I don't think it's an issue per se - but we did consider the wind and outdoor shelter before we bought the place
              Lis:

Helping NZ authors get their books published

Comment

Working...
              X