Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is NZ's problem over population?

Perhaps it's a world problem.

House prices, traffic, cost of goods, hospital waiting lists, unemployment, under funded education, etc, etc, not to mention global warming, all attributed to over population.

One argument for growing the population is to grow the economy but is that true? Would the economy slow down with less people feeding it and feeding off of it? A smaller workforce forces employers to offer the best people better pay and conditions. Happier, wealthier people are more likely to spend their money.

The taxes lost through a reduced number of PAYE employees are more than offset by higher wages, less beneficiaries and lower demand on puplic services.

Was Richmond Valentine, the villain of the Kingsman movie, on the right track if not a little too extreme? A 10-20% cull would be sufficient. (Pokey out tongue)

No we need another 5 to 15 mil. That is our problem right now.

Comment

there is lots of New Zealand out side of Auckland

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
        there is lots of New Zealand out side of Auckland
        Yes but a lot of NZ doesn't want to be the another Auckland ...we don't need to just keep chasing growth ...what's so wrong with working on forming a well balanced economy where the NZ house prices and wages are well matched ...

Support of all of the export economy , NZ jobs over imports (of both foreign labour and investment.......)

Comment

Absolutely JimO. Whangarie had highest unemployment and Canterbury had longest hospital wait list at last census. Most of the country is suffering from over population in one way or another. All the main centres could do with a population downsize don't you think?

Comment

The UK has 63 million people in roughly the same space. We've got some way to go.

Comment

I spent 7 years in the UK and in my opinion the close packed population has had a big negative impact on the quality of life there.

Comment

NZ is NZ because of what it is.
                Add 60mil people and it won't be NZ anymore.
                If I wanted to live in an english speaking country with 63mil people I wouldn't live thousands of km away from the rest of the world.
                I'd go live in England and be close to Europe.
                There has to be some upside to being a little island at the end of the earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobsyouruncle View Post
                  No we need another 5 to 15 mil. That is our problem right now.
                  People keep repeating this without any analysis to support this.

Comment

Originally posted by ivanp View Post
                    Very true. Switzerland only has a population of 8 million. So it's not how big you are, it's what you do with it that counts!
                    You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Originally posted by ivanp View Post
                      Well I think you'll find that pretty much everything Dean says doesn't have any analysis to support it.

Thrice bankrupt gives investing advice...
                      Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
                        Very true. Switzerland only has a population of 8 million. So it's not how big you are, it's what you do with it that counts!
                        This is precisely the issue.

Singapore only has around 4 million people but their economy is way bigger than ours. AND they have no natural resources.

Adding another (put in your stupid number here) million people just makes everything the same but on a larger scale.

The US has the population of NZ living on the streets. They have 320 million people. So what are some of you saying? They'd be better off if only they had another 50 million or something?

If having a large population was the answer then China and India would be stocked with wealthy people enjoying a very high standard of living in all respects right? But what is the reality? They are mostly (95%) broke and semi-starving, with no access to services at all.

3 billion people on the planet either have no electricity, or have it for a few hours a day!!!
                        Squadly dinky do!

Comment

An independent review on why it costs 3x more per square meter to build in New Zealand than Australia, which is otherwise a very expensive place to do anything, would be more use.
                          Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

I think it's just common sense Ivan in terms of increasing local demand and therefore making us more independent and more robust internally. Obviously it will also create a lot of issues I am sure.

Comment

Common sense how Bob? Hospitals, education, transport, social housing, etc, etc all woefully under funded and over extended with the current population. How would adding more low/no waged populous improve things?

Comment

Working...
                              X