Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
    A dead man is one who isn't breathing.
    I do know what you are trying to say though.
    What I mean is that a man without dreams/goals/ambition is equivalent to a dead man.

That really is sad - you need a better goal that 'to be rich'.
    You need to have a big think about what being rich would really look like.
    Money is a means to an end, not an end in itself.

Remember that money isn't the root of all evil - it is the love of money that is the root of all evil.
    I don't need many goals to be happy really, all I want to do when I'm financially free is to travel the world, and right now I'm just living the moment enjoying life =)

And no, I don't love money for the sake of it, but I do want to have enough money to quit my day job and do something else like travelling!

Comment

To get there my plan was to retire with 55, at least I could manage to quit my day job one year later. Spending more time doing what I love has made a huge difference to health and fitness, and most of all I share the benefits of my life, even learn a new language, write blogs, go boating as much as I can... life is good if you are in control.
      Last edited by klauster; 09-12-2014, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
        I don't need many goals to be happy really, all I want to do when I'm financially free is to travel the world, and right now I'm just living the moment enjoying life =)
        Then you won't need those anti-depressants as you will have something to look forward to.

Comment

Then you won't need those anti-depressants as you will have something to look forward to.
          The challenge would be making the day interesting and rewarding with 40 hours per week extra time I have on my hands!

Comment

The challenge would be making the day interesting and rewarding with 40 hours per week extra time I have on my hands!
            So you need to go back to your goal and think about what success would look like.
            Going in a bit of a circle this.

Comment

Gary Lin, doing something new makes a day interesting, keeps occupied and there are lots of things missed out when working in a day job. Growing old the only limitations are physical and mental fitness not money.

Comment

Originally posted by klauster View Post
                Gary Lin, doing something new makes a day interesting, keeps occupied and there are lots of things missed out when working in a day job. Growing old the only limitations are physical and mental fitness not money.
                Yeah I agree, 40 hours a week (plus travel) is a lot of spare time...

Comment

The trouble with cars is the expense of keeping them. I had a "free" Ferrari I got as a part trade on a house. Loved driving it but hated the expense of keeping it maintained. Lasted under a year. Also tried a Dodge Ram V10 Viper but it just didn't go fast enough :-). Back to the Landcruiser I went......

I don't think anybody who succeeds at getting retired will have to be too concerned about doing nothing. The skills it takes to achieve mean you can spend the rest of your life doing what you love. Which may well be business or trading or whatever.
                  I still do RE because I love it.
                  And once you learn how to make 20 to 50K in a day, it's hard to enjoy any sort of normal job.

Comment

Yeah I agree, 40 hours a week (plus travel) is a lot of spare time...
                    I find I have hardly any spare time!

You know how you look forward to the weekend, and all the things you will do? Like maybe a bit of DIY, maybe go to the beach, spend time with the kids, maybe catch up with some friends, do the shopping and so on?

And then the weekend comes and goes and you only got half of what you wanted to do done? It's like this, but all the time.

So I actively try to avoid getting too busy. I don't believe in goal setting, or that ambition is a good thing - any more - I used to. But those kinds of things just make me unhappy and too driven these days, so I just try to take each day as it comes.

I read something by Brene Brown: "Sometimes we confuse an ordinary life with a wasted life." I agree with this a lot. My new intention, if anything, is to live an ordinary life and be happy and content to do so.
                    Last edited by Davo36; 09-12-2014, 04:57 PM.
                    Squadly dinky do!

Comment

@Davo, need a like button :-)

Comment

It doesn't sound like there'd be any Corvettes in that ordinary life, so I think I'll be giving it a miss. Onwards & upwards!

Comment

But there are cookies :-)

Comment

There'll be no cookies in the 'Vette, thanks. I can't stand crumbs.

Comment

Just sold two houses, paid down some debt, purchased some toys.

Enjoying the toys on a daily basis.

These are expensive and I would have never been able to purchase them if it weren't for the property investments I had/have.

I have retained enough to see me out of this world as I still work and intend to work as long as I am fit to do so. It keeps me busy and life is interesting.

Sitting on my butt and sipping wine is not my idea of fun.

www.3888444.co.nz
                              Facebook Page

Comment

I find these kinds of topics fascinating. Also needed a like button for Davo36's quote. I really believe that gratitude for what you already have is the key to happiness. Ambitions are just my hobby
                                You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Working...
                                X