Regional Towns Worth Investing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meehole View Post
    if Winnie wins what improvements he can instigate as far as the fortunes of the north are concerned?
    You can measure this by the improvements he has instigated for the north in the 40 years he's been in parliament.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo View Post
      You can measure this by the improvements he has instigated for the north in the 40 years he's been in parliament.
      He wasn't their MP for those 40 years.
      Don't blame Winnie for the lack of development - he wasn't the Govt.
      I think National have been very caught out by this and will hopefully take notice.
      They have been getting a few warnings lately that all is not rosy in National Govt land - if they learn from them they might get another term.

Comment

I have no problem with Winnie winning up there as at least what he is prosposing might inject some life and money into the region going forward.
        What I dislike is that drip Peter Dunne gets a bit more clout if Winnie wins.

Comment

National stalwarts are squealing like little girls over the prospect of WP winning Northland. As far as I can see, even knowing that Peters may not do a damned thing for the region, the people of Northland will be no worse off than they've been for many years.

"Send them a message" is a brilliant campaign, perfectly timed, in my opinion. As is his "name the paedo when the victim is ok with it" bill.

Comment

Well I think so too Leftette. National and others have done f**k all about improving Northland, and then comes along a bi-election and suddenly they're going to upgrade all the bridges...

All they want is the seat, and to spend as little as possible up there.

I am a total anti-Winston person, he's a proven liar, but I almost hope he wins just to give National a bit of a kick in the pants.
            Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
              He wasn't their MP for those 40 years.
              Don't blame Winnie for the lack of development - he wasn't the Govt.
              What makes you think he won't use those same excuses for his lack of delivery in future?

I think National have been very caught out by this and will hopefully take notice.
              They have been getting a few warnings lately that all is not rosy in National Govt land - if they learn from them they might get another term.
              No doubt about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftette View Post
                National stalwarts are squealing like little girls over the prospect of WP winning Northland. As far as I can see, even knowing that Peters may not do a damned thing for the region, the people of Northland will be no worse off than they've been for many years.

"Send them a message" is a brilliant campaign, perfectly timed, in my opinion. As is his "name the paedo when the victim is ok with it" bill.
                Agree, Winston is a master of political opportunism.

He's also a shameless liar, so anyone who believes he will make any difference at all is in for a disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo View Post
                  What makes you think he won't use those same excuses for his lack of delivery in future?
                  What makes you think I think he wont?
                  I'm sure he will.
                  A great result - if National are at all smart they will sit down and have a long hard look at what they are doing.
                  They can tweak a few things and have another term or carry on like now and lose next election.

Comment

Regional roads under the local district councils are funded 40-50% from NZTA (central government), so unless the district councils come up with more money (higher rates), they can't afford to upgrade the roads and bridges.

If the central government gives them a special handout, then what about the rest of NZ?

Also there are 150k people in Northland, yet only less than 30k voted... they really care over there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
                      If the central government gives them a special handout, then what about the rest of NZ?
                      The rest of NZ are already asking that question - there are many more one lane bridges!

Comment

The rest of NZ are already asking that question - there are many more one lane bridges!
                        Even Rodney Auckland has many one lane bridges that may not get upgraded for a while, based on need.

Comment

I LIKE Northland's 1-way bridges. Adds character.

Comment

What makes you think I think he wont?
                            I'm sure he will.
                            A great result - if National are at all smart they will sit down and have a long hard look at what they are doing.
                            They can tweak a few things and have another term or carry on like now and lose next election.
                            Yeap, it will either wake them up or they'll loose the next election regardless of how badly Labour perform. The amusing thing is Labour have gifted Winston a seat that could very easily become a stronghold for Shane Jones.....

Comment

A high-yielding investment purely for income (expect no capital gains) in towns/cities with population over 85,000 (Palmy,Dunedin, Tauranga, Napier/Hastings etc) should be fine I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X