Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W.I.N.Z refusal to dob in MP's

So, I ask of W.I.N.Z. a question under the Official Information Act:
    "are there any sitting members of parliament who have a community services card"
    There can be but three answers:
    1) No
    2) Yes
    3) We're not telling you.

So, if the answer was number 1 above. No news. However, since the answer was not "yes" but "we're not telling you" there is a potential story here.

If they're not telling me it stands to reason that there is either one or more member of parliament who have a community services card as, if there were none the answer would be a big fat "no"

Talk about sticking your nose into the public trough for sucking money out of the public purse.
    www.3888444.co.nz
    Facebook Page

Ah Keys,
    Do you have an answer yet?
    You have a reason for asking. Do you believe it to be so. Luv to know yes or no.
    I suspect yes.
    Could be embarrassing for someone if that info fell into the right hands. Which can happen.

Comment

The answer was:

"your request is refused under section 27 (1)(b) of the Official Information Act 1982 as the release of such information may result in the unwarranted disclosure of the affairs of another person"

So, it was not a firm "no"

It was a "we're not telling you"

If there were no recipients of our money via the community services card then the answer would have been no.

Have sent the reply W.I.N.Z. gave me off to various news agencies.
      www.3888444.co.nz
      Facebook Page

Comment

Not necessarily. You might have got the same answer if you had asked the question about, say, blacksmiths. Or people over 75 in Otautau. Or any other group with limited numbers. WINZ would have to take a cautious approach don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
          You might have got the same answer if you had asked the question about, say, blacksmiths.
          Indeed.
          Are holders of the card categorised under occupation ?

Comment

Originally posted by speights boy View Post
            Indeed. Are holders of the card categorised under occupation ?
            Probably as pretty sure all details are held under a common WINZ customer number.

Comment

Keys, that's personal information that I reckon they don't have to release.

A bit like what medication someone is on or their spouses employment status or what have you.

So while I agree none of them should have one because they all get a really good wage, I don't think they'll ever release that data. They will not say yes Mr XYZ has a community services card.

As you have said, I think you already have the answer - at least one of them does have a card. Have you considered going to the media with this? They may be able to dig a little deeper.
              Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                As you have said, I think you already have the answer - at least one of them does have a card. Have you considered going to the media with this? They may be able to dig a little deeper.
                Yes, sent the request and reply to some media outlets last night.

No, I'm not interested in who has a card, I now strongly believe there is one (or more) who has a card. What riles me is that, while they are on a good income someone has structured their affairs to make them eligible for a card and then has the effrontery to get one!

The request was sent to W.I.N.Z. as a fishing expedition.
                www.3888444.co.nz
                Facebook Page

Comment

You planning on morphing
                  into a gummint dept, Keys?
                  Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Comment

I'm pretty sure that would squarely fall into the category to which Mr Slater refers as "troughing", loud & clear. He'd be rather interested to know who it was, I'm sure, even if that person was National*

* Unless it was Key or, heaven forbid, his ole' pal Collins.

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
                      If there were no recipients of our money via the community services card then the answer would have been no.
                      With respect, I think the answer was always going to be "We're not telling you".

Comment

^^^^
                        Why's that Bob?

They're required, under the OIA, to reply with the truth. If there were none, they would be required to say so.
                        www.3888444.co.nz
                        Facebook Page

Comment

How about this as a hypothesis.

The reason for withholding an answer is personal privacy.

Even though no MPs hold a card, they still reply by 'we're not supplying the info', as opposed to a 'No'.

Because, if they did answer 'no' and at a later date someone asked when an MP did actually hold a card, then how would they answer without breaching personal privacy ?

They would have to answer 'yes' , as last time the question was asked they had answered 'no'

A 'yes' answer would be a breech of personal privacy; therefore they cannot answer 'no' this time.
                          They may not even search the database to find out.

I have discussed this with Sir Humphrey Appleby; and whilst he cannot categorically say that this is in fact correct; there is nothing to indicate it is not, nor has not been, or in fact will not be accurate some time in the future.
                          Last edited by speights boy; 13-09-2014, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by speights boy View Post
                            Because, if they did answer 'no' and at a later date someone asked when an MP did actually hold a card, then how would they answer without breaching personal privacy ?
                            They would answer as they have done so to me.
                            www.3888444.co.nz
                            Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
                              They would answer as they have done so to me.
                              Correct, which may be the reason they have answered this way to you this time.
                              That way, you should not infer anything from either answer because it is exactly the same both times.

Comment

Working...
                              X