Apartment Owner contact details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apartment Owner contact details

How does one go about getting the contact details for all owners in an apartment complex? Is the body corporate secretary, when asked, bound to supply an owner with the contact details of other owners?

Are you an owner of one of the apartments in said complex? I do not think they are obliged to give you all the owners names even if you are one of the owners - you could ask the Body corp to forward letters to all the owners on your behalf - they might do this.
    Also you could do this -
    About 10 years ago I wanted to by a townhouse in a block of 26 - none were advertised for sale so I used QV to get the owners names - cannot remember how much it cost - have a look at their website.

Comment

Hi gavinc, Yes I am an owner. I want to get support from other owners on an issue with the body corporate.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachBunny View Post
        Hi gavinc, Yes I am an owner. I want to get support from other owners on an issue with the body corporate.
        The Body Corp represents the owners, whatever issue you have you could raise it at the owners meeting or e-mail the owners committee directly.

Comment

Problem is, the only meeting owners are invited to attend is the AGM and most of the owners don't attend so there is not much point raising an issue at that meeting. The committee that represents the owners, run their own agenda with
          their own interests.

Comment

How does one go about getting the contact details for all owners in an apartment complex? Is the body corporate secretary, when asked, bound to supply an owner with the contact details of other owners?
            looks like

you are either going to need a legal opinion that points to a law where the BC sec must supply the details to other owners on demand, then ask the BC sec foe the details

or

ask the BC sec, with a carefully worded letter, and then get a legal opinion later if the BC sec refuses or ignores your request

either way this is a something that will happen more often

so please get back to us with what you find

ps i have asked a BC sec for contact details for another owner, and after giving an acceptable reason, those details have been given to me

i also get regular mass emails from a slightly "loonie" owner who seems to enjoy challenging the BC and owners committee
            Last edited by eri; 19-11-2013, 10:55 PM.
            have you defeated them?
            your demons

Comment

Problem is, the only meeting owners are invited to attend is the AGM and most of the owners don't attend so there is not much point raising an issue at that meeting. The committee that represents the owners, run their own agenda with
              their own interests.
              I have had a similar issue in the past and wrote an open letter to the owners, and asked the company that administers the body corporate (The BC Secretary) to email it to all the owners. The letter basically asked them to contact me if they were interested, which about half the owners did.

Good luck Though you might want to prepare yourself for a lot of sleepless nights if my experience is anything to go by!

Comment

Not sure that there is any requirement to hand out that kind of information, though as eri said a kindly worded email/letter could work.

Otherwise check emails that you have received in the past, someone might have cc'd in the other owners.

Or if you live in or near the units you could go door knocking, some may be owner occupiers - these people are often the types who go to the AGM so might know the other owners or the chairperson, and tenants might be able to help with landlord contact details.

Comment

If you don’t manage to get a list of owners, you can create your own. Maybe start with a door knock and / or a note in each letterbox, see what you get back. The BC chair has to call an EGM if requested by 25% of unit owners, so that is not an insurmountable hurdle.

Also, the following is from the Wellington City Council website and might be useful.

Property owner names are recorded in a public database maintained by Land Information New Zealand. These can be viewed from the Council's WebMap. Your personal contact details are never displayed online. However, they can be obtained from the Council's Service Centre - unless you ask to have details removed from the public Rating Information Database the Council holds.

Comment

With the UTA2010 the role and responsibility of the chair person are regulated (BC secretary is just the BC management). The chair person might have delegated responsibilities to the committee.

The committee represents the rights and obligations of the Unit owners.

I see three possible options for you:
                    - Address your request to chair person
                    - Get from LINZ (will cost you) the unit title holders names and contact them directly (I wouldn’t do that), or
                    - Pass on your request to the BC committee. These guys should act appropriately on behalf of the BC.

You can also request to get a copy from the committee meeting minutes and reply to their “operation”. Check - How does the committee run the “business” in accordance to the budget from the last AGM? You don’t need to wait until the next AGM - as owner you have the right getting informed and to address your concerns. You also own a share of the common property. Exercise your responsibility as BC member - the committee/BC secretary can distribute your concerns/suggestions. To force a decision apply for an EGM (voting can be done remotely e.g. email). Also review the BC Rules (they are registered with LINZ). Good luck.
                    Last edited by klauster; 20-11-2013, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X