Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was wandering down the hall at my place just now...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was wandering down the hall at my place just now...........

And it occurred to me.

Some people have just never lived in old homes, old and cold homes. Homes which would be considered as "dumps" and in not so desirable areas.

These people have been born to parents who have established themselves, worked hard, won lotto etc. Parents who have climbed the ladder to having a nice, comfortable home in a nice area.

These people have also been taught that they are entitled to things, just because they were born. Things which their parents worked for.

Often, I hear comments of homes being (as noted earlier) dumps. Homes being too small. Being too far away from somewhere. Cold.

As one who will not see my 50th birthday again, I remember things in my youth which caused me discomfort. Am I better for that? Who knows. Would I like to go there again? No. If I needed to, would I go there again. Of course.

Responsibility should be taught to our youth just as enthusiastically as entitlement.

Just saying.
    www.3888444.co.nz
    Facebook Page

There are two primary choices in life
    To accept conditions as they exisit
    or accept the responsibility for changing them.

~Denis waitley

Comment

which brings forth an interesting conundrum

if a reasonable man

adapts himself to his circumstances

and an unreasonable man

endeavours to adapt his circumstances to himself

then all progress

is due to unreasonable men
      have you defeated them?
      your demons

Comment

Do you blame the parents or the person?
        My Gen Y peers are full of these types of stuck up know-it-alls
        Humble beginnings makes the future success so much more sweeter and well earned
        I'm desperate for my kids to turn out better than some of my peers

Comment

There was an op ed piece in Saturday's Herald.
          http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10885999

Story is that this woman and her partner had accumulated 50k (good effort) and had loan apprioval for another 450k
          They work, he at the airport and she at Penrose.
          They have two kids - early teens by the look of it.

Yet they claim they can't afford to buy a house that is reasonably convenient to their work, as they need three bedrooms and a rumpus or double garage.

WTF!

I did a Trademe search on Saturday morning, and found 558 houses listed there alone that were in Manukau and were listed at 500k or below.
          Ok, I didn't check out all of them, but even if 80% are unsuitable that still leaves over 100 possibilities.

Of course, I can just hear her say "Oh, I wouldn't live in that suburb".

So what the story really should say is that she can't find a house in her preferred suburbs for the price she can pay.

Which is quite a different story from the way it is currently written up.

Comment

Originally posted by GenY View Post
            Do you blame the parents or the person?
            My Gen Y peers are full of these types of stuck up know-it-alls
            Humble beginnings makes the future success so much more sweeter and well earned
            I'm desperate for my kids to turn out better than some of my peers
            Same here, Still got friends in their early thirties that either borrow from or get a lot stuff paid for by their parents. Worst part is that they openly discuss it like it is their right and something normal, with no hint of embarrassment. Worst still is I fear it will become the norm.

Comment

Everyone's parents die

Comment

This sounds akin to the insulated houses discussion and comments
                that most of us who wont see 50 again, (hello! Keys) all grew up
                in such houses and weren't cot cases as a result. I've lived in what
                might be called 'dumps' or 'dives' as part of achieving a goal. Not
                one single tenant of mine has anything remotely like those living
                conditions. They don't know how lucky they are.

Sacrifice? Whazzat? Why, my son, that's something other people do!
                Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Comment

It's actually fun slumming it a bit when you are young and know it won't go on for ever. Makes great stories later!

Comment

True. But only to select
                    and small audiences.
                    Yunno, pearls and swine
                    and such.
                    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Comment

I consider myself to be moderately successful, and still yet to see 50, but still live in an 'old cold' house (even though it is fully insulated!) Partly because the thought of having an even higher mortgage with 50+ looming scares the bejesus out of me!
                      DFTBA

Comment

Working...
                      X