• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damien Grant: House prices - pundits just don't have a clue

Damien Grant: House prices - pundits just don't have a clue

By Damien Grant
    5:30 AM Sunday Dec 18, 2011
    No new stock coming into the market means a lack of supply and so prices rise. Photo / Chris Skelton

No newspaper pundit worth his remittance can avoid writing about the Auckland property market. Before I wade into this fetid pool, let me disclose that I do not own property. I do not understand real estate.
    Which begs the question, why would you bother wasting the precious minutes of your Sunday reading any further?
    Because I know as much as every other newspaper pundit. Nothing. This does not stop the column inches, of course. If you pay a clown to dance, he will dance. Does not make it ballet.
    So, let's look at what we actually know affects house prices:
    Building consents are at record lows. No new stock coming into the market means a lack of supply, prices rise.
    Net migration has turned negative. No effect there, but the immigration spigot can be used to boost flagging economic fortunes. Possible tick to price rises.
    Long-term population growth is increasing. Stats New Zealand has us at five million by the middle of the next decade, we must live somewhere. Another price rise tick.
    Interest rates are low and likely to remain so, which allows people to leverage themselves until their noses bleed. They will, driving up prices.
    Land in Auckland is constrained. The Super City wants us to build up, but we want to spread out. Expect prices to rise.
    More at the Granny
    Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

I love this quote from the article.
    Ollie Newland is predicting a new bubble. The Economist says our house prices are 25 per cent overvalued. Who to believe?
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

I love his ending:

I do not have an answer, I only have opinions
      Umm I couldn't find an 'opinion' in that article - I'd have to say it was a page filler - in his own words....
      If you pay a clown to dance, he will dance. Does not make it ballet.
      He was paid to write - he wrote....

cheers,

Donna
      Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

consider it an antidote

to the kierons, hickeys and fong or ha

who tell us what will happen

then tell us why it didn't happen

there is no hand guiding the wheel....

where we go

we just don't know
        have you defeated them?
        your demons

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post

there is no hand guiding the wheel....

where we go

we just don't know
          I beg to gently differ.
          We have a pretty good idea what's going to happen tomorrow.
          Maybe not a guarantee but close enough to bet the house on it.

Comment

Prices are going up now.
            But I have had a knackering year, its too tiring buying houses.
            Time to get them all rented and have a rest.

Comment

Working...
            X