X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google unveils NZ real estate site

Google unveils NZ real estate site

5:00PM Monday Jul 06, 2009

A screen from the new Google real estate pages.
    Gobal tech giant Google has unveiled its latest weapon to take over all aspects of the internet, with today's launch of a New Zealand real estate mapping service.
    Real estate agents, franchise groups and other real estate websites are now able to upload their house listings directly into Google Maps free of charge.
    Google product manager Andrew Foster said the company knew that many New Zealand home buyter were already using Google Maps to help with house-buying.
    By making the listings themselves available in Google Maps, the company could "drive qualified buyers directly to listings."
    Foster said it was "a simple and free way for real estate companies to make their listings even more discoverable and have them seen on an easy-to-navigate map."
    Potential home buyers enter a city or suburb and see available listings represented by markers or small circles on the map. They can then refine their search by price, type of property, bedrooms, bathrooms, and parking.
    The map automatically updates with relevant listings when panned or zoomed to another suburb, and when the search criteria is changed.
    Chief information officer for real estate firm Harcourts Jason Wills said the internet had "become an indispensable tool for New Zealand home buyers and renters".
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10582860
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Great idea - looks perfect for what I am often trying to do, which is find a house or property when I stumble upon a great area
    www.builderscrack.co.nz

Comment

horrendous at the moment, slow, jumps to results in other countries, seems to be mixing rentals and sales together, next to no details etc...

but shows promise, if the REA can use it for free it will eventually take market share
      have you defeated them?
      your demons

Comment

Next step is to add the sales data and valuation, so you can see what things are worth.
        DFTBA

Comment

Originally posted by cube View Post
          Next step is to add the sales data and valuation, so you can see what things are worth.
          yeah looks like Google and QV have an opportunity staring them in the face aye!

Which current sites would become redundant with this move? If any?

Cheers,

Donna
          SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
            yeah looks like Google and QV have an opportunity staring them in the face aye!
            except one is a free model and one is a pay model.

Comment

Yeah good point - though maybe like 'adwords' QV could be interested in paying to leverage off the google offering aye.

Cheers,

Donna
              SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
                Yeah good point - though maybe like 'adwords' QV could be interested in paying to leverage off the google offering aye.
                Like a dedicated button to get a valuation.

I am pretty sure there is a site in the US which gives you the last sale price of any property (might be certain states only?) for free. Last sale date and price would be very helpful info.

Comment

Interesting to note that the largest Property websites in Australia are boycotting the service. They claim that Google is trying to corner them out of the market.

I personally think that this is not the case.

Also interesting to note that Trademe, which is now owned the the same Australian compnany is not using the service. Will this be detrimental to their future success? I really don't think they are big enough yet to try and bully Google.

Comment

Great potential

Maybe google could provide a free listing service for private treaty sales.
                    I have been working on developing a free deal listing site for investors.

What do you think? cashflowproperty.co.nz list your deals, this site is in test mode, I need to see if it works well enough. I use google maps to.

Comment

cfpnz,

Welcome to propertytalk.

Would your proposed site be similar in nature to this one? www.propertybillboard.co.nz
                      Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

Comment

I predict the real estate agents won't like it because they can't fudge the suburbs. Many won't ever put an actual street because they want you to call, get your contact details etc. If you could see immediately that the steet wasn't in the suburb they claimed you wouldn't call.

Comment

Personally if I am presented with a property that doesn't show all the details I will more often than not mve on to the next one

Comment

My sentiments exactly Jared. I have been playing around with the google real estate maps today and they have a long way to go. A property marked as being in Salisbury st in Christchurch which was extremely cheap turned out to have been in Dannevirke. Not sure if the problem is with google or with the listing agent (rubbish in = rubbish out?)

Comment

The problem with Google is that it only reads the information given to it by websites. It relies on that information being true and correct.

If for example an agent mis spells something google could interperet this as something completely different and place the property in the complete wrong part of the country(although it has protocols for correcting this written into it's algorithim)

Google very rarely makes a mistake (Except maybe for this one http://www.businesstalk.co.nz/showthread.php?t=931 ) , but will quite often pass on a mistake that someone else made without picking it up.

It is also very interesting that a lot of bigger companies like trademe are boycotting the service.

Comment

Working...
                              X