Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How stupid main stream media can ruin a good business

Pity it costs so much to sue....

If you live around that way please support these poor business people.

Cafe ruined by Target's false slur

The owners of a Ponsonby cafe falsely accused by TV3's Target show of serving contaminated food say the blunder has left them on the brink of bankruptcy.

The June 16 edition of the consumer show featured a hidden camera segment assessing the hygiene standards of eight Auckland cafes, and claimed chicken from Cafe Cezanne contained high levels of faecal coliforms.

This week TV3 released a statement on behalf of production company Top Shelf Productions admitting food samples from the cafes were incorrectly coded and they were unable to confirm which one had produced the contaminated food.

The statement said the employee in charge of labelling the samples had been sacked.

Cafe Cezanne owners Rod Williams and Jackie Wilkinson said the "unbelievable" mistake had ruined their once-thriving business and they had taken legal advice on their next step.
    Read more...

Cheers

Marc
    Last edited by Marc; 29-06-2009, 01:06 PM.
    Free business resources - www.BusinessBlogsHub.com

....it's time for them to take action via social media

Within no time their name could be cleared and the Cafe could build a large following that entices others to support them.

Maybe the word could also spread via social media of an event where those who got it wrong - have to work a week in the cafe for no pay.....or stand outside the cafe while they get cream buns thrown at them. That would attract attention and offer a suitable apology to the struggling business owners aye.

Cheers,

Donna
    SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Yeah . already started but need more people to pass on the word that the cafe is fine.

I have already posted it on Twitter today but will again on Monday.

Cheers

marc

Comment

yeah i saw that episode, then the follow up where they apologised and I thought it was just shocking for the poor people. I actually had dinner in Devonport last night which reminded me. I'll definately go there in the future if I can.

Comment

One situation where there should be a very
          long, written apology, with each letter on
          a separate $100 note.

TV! Ugh?!
          Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Comment

But which of the Restaurants tested DID have the contaminated food though?

Just cause a mistake in the labelling occured doesnt mean that the sample DID NOT belong to Cafe Cezanne.....
            The Cafe should do their own tests.

Comment

I find Target to be a programme that tends toward sensationalism rather than a balanced point of view. Their "tut-tuts" are often extremely petty, especially with regard to tradesmen. The nature of their "investigation" is inherently flawed and the results usually subjective.

Captaincrab - if you read the whole article, it looks like the sample wasn't from any of the cafes and probably spiked as the coliform count was too high.
              You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Target in the shitter.

Opinion piece...

http://www.brad.net.nz/blog/2009/06/...n-the-shitter/

I have also asked TV3 via Twitter why they allow a show that destroys great businesses to still be on air.

If anyone is also on Twitter please ping them as well and demand they take the show off air.

Their profile is: http://twitter.com/tv3nz

Cheers

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by Marc View Post
                  If anyone is also on Twitter please ping them as well and demand they take the show off air. Cheers - Marc
                  With respect, that seems like an overreaction to me, Marc. Throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Of course, I sympathise greatly with the business that was unjustly smeared and feel that TV3 as the broadcaster owes them some redress, surely.
                  Maybe hold a TV3 mid-winter Xmas staff party there ... with coverage in Campbell Live and interviews with all concerned? ... Something like that, to make up for the harm their goof caused.

But that Target show has also done some good, too, in my opinion.
                  Peter Aranyi
                  Blog: www.ThePaepae.com

Comment

If it's anything like Fair Go, I agree with Drelly.
                    Seems that nearly all 'main stream' media is
                    about sensationalism and ratings and BS.

Wasn't it Winston Churchill who said:
                    A lie will be half way around the world
                    before truth has done up its shoe laces.

(Or something similar to that)
                    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Comment

Originally posted by PeterEmpowerEd View Post
                      With respect, that seems like an overreaction to me, Marc. Throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Of course, I sympathise greatly with the business that was unjustly smeared and feel that TV3 as the broadcaster owes them some redress, surely.
                      Maybe hold a TV3 mid-winter Xmas staff party there ... with coverage in Campbell Live and interviews with all concerned? ... Something like that, to make up for the harm their goof caused.

I think any business owner who has worked hard to build and run a business understands how shocking this is. I personally would love to see them sued into oblivion. This is not about an unfortunate mistake. Due to their MASSIVE incompetency they nearly took a great business down. And all they do in return is issue a silly "sorry".

My opinion piece here on the matter.

Cheers

Marc

Comment

totally agree

Comment

Originally posted by whitt View Post
                          totally agree
                          If Target come after your business Whit and mistakenly defame it on public TV so you reach bankruptcy I will give you a call and see how your feeling.

Such "power" should only be given to people who actually understand what its like to run a small business in NZ. In this segment they seemed to have showed a complete lack of disregard for what they were stating about a business.

Of course the producers and all concerned will still get their fat paychecks and have a laugh in some lounge bar after work while the cafe owners work hard to rebuild their reputation.

Cheers

Marc
                          Last edited by Perry; 29-06-2009, 07:09 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

Comment

I suppose the rallying around can only be good for the cafe - and maybe Target will front up with more than just a statement on their website etc.

It could of course still die quietly and the cafe has to rely on the goodness they have achieved so far to keep their business alive.

As we all know defamation is extremely hard to prove so I don't think suing is on the table.

Cheers,

Donna
                              SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Working...
                              X