Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fiji's President has scrapped the constitution and sacked all of the country's judges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiji's President has scrapped the constitution and sacked all of the country's judges

Fiji is so stuffed right now... Who has property or investments over there?

Also watch "S&P cuts Fiji to B-" video here...

Cheers

Marc
    Free business resources - www.BusinessBlogsHub.com

Fijis's new Minister of Land and Governor of Reserve Bank

Comment

Is that Mark Bryers?

Cheers,

Donna
      SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Awesome Brutus!

Comment

Yes - no one in their right mind would promote or purchase property controlled by a military dictatorship.

Notice how easily people with guns remove anything they don't like. Like the entire legal system.

But surely they wouldn't take away the property rights of a handful of nzders..would they?...

Is any one here willing to say this was a good idea?

"Sections on the moon" and "Mudflats at low tide" come to mind.

Dean - what are your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Cadmium View Post
            Yes - no one in their right mind would promote or purchase property controlled by a military dictatorship.
            It is odd to have this sort of thing happen.
            I wonder if democracy and it's promotion of diversety and freedom, extends those ideals to include the freedom to have a dictatorship?
            Or the diversity of a more strict system of government.

You see the paradox.

I guess if Fiji wants to try and stand on it's own, in a global system, then it will have to miss out on some of the advantages of a global world.

Kind of like the "Good Life " TV series on a larger scale.
            I see medical, tech, legal and economic issues being their main problem.
            They have no oil to trade for global goodies.
            What will they do?
            Tourism?

I'm not sure the population will put up with this for too long.
            Maybe if we had a old family Chief trying it, then it would be possible.

Comment

Sadly the Fijian population don't know what is going on and on top of that their culture is such that they believe what they are told, no matter how ridiculous it is.

I am ringing my friends there to tell them what is happening. Their own news is now only 15 minutes and doesn't mention anything political or controversial.

Fiji has always been a bit of a banana republic and the most likely outcome is that things will eventually return to some sort of normality. Once Bainamarama has siphoned off enough money he will probably sail off into the sunset, unless someone removes him.

You just have to roll with the punches in Fiji and stick to freehold land if you are wanting to own there.

If the locals experience enough pain you will possible see a coup to remove Bainamarama driven by military unrest and they will then ask NZ and OZ to come in and help sort it out.

Then in another 10 or 20 years another Bainamarama might arise, who knows?

I still love the place and consider it my home.

Comment

Hello Dean,

What about the people who brought land that I think you were promoting a while back. Is their investments safe?

Cheers

marc

Comment

Yep, it's all freehold.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Letfus View Post
                    Yep, it's all freehold.
                    Whew! Thats good news then.

Cheers

Marc

Comment

I lived there for some time and love the place also.

I don't know what Frank's views are on foreign ownership of Fijian land but I would say that the word "Freehold" offers about as much safety as the word "Constitution" over there at present.

If there were elections around the corner, then I think people would have more room for optimism, but it appears this guy is determined to do a LOT more damage before he is through.

Make no mistake. If Frank decides he wants your land, he will take it.

Comment

Agree Cadmium but as I said somewhere else that will only happen if there is complete removal of Fiji's legal system.

I think the beginnings of unrest in the military make another coup which will swing back towards democracy likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Letfus View Post
                          Agree Cadmium but as I said somewhere else that will only happen if there is complete removal of Fiji's legal system.

I think the beginnings of unrest in the military make another coup which will swing back towards democracy likely.
                          I really hope you are right!

Comment

Originally posted by Cadmium View Post

Make no mistake. If Frank decides he wants your land, he will take it.
                            If the powers that be decide Frank's life has become too much of a nuissance, and that there's some disciplinary value in ending it, they will take it.

Comment

Originally posted by 67910241 View Post
                              If the powers that be decide Frank's life has become too much of a nuissance, and that there's some disciplinary value in ending it, they will take it.
                              Yes - interesting idea - and not a bad one from a utilitarian point of view.

If he were to agree to an unpopular ("non-western") country setting up a military base in Suva, it might come to that, but in the meantime, I think this is just a minor comedic sideshow for the "International Community". Compare Fiji to any other basket case, and its minor.

I don't think any regional country has the fortitude to pull something like that off - it always looks really bad when the truth comes out.

There are an awful lot of NZ people and interests in Fiji at risk if NZ were to take a more direct approach (involving sending planes and ships over the horizon).

Of course, someone internal could always "pop a cap in his ass", and then replace him with even more of the same.

Hey, something good might happen too...let's hope so.

Comment

Working...
                              X