• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Merciless' banks fail customers

'Merciless' banks fail customers

4:00AM Sunday Dec 21, 2008
    Andrea Milner

Alan Bollard's advice to banks has gone unheeded. Photo / Mark Mitchell

Banks have come under fire for not heeding Reserve Bank Governor Alan Bollard and sharing struggling borrowers' pain. While falling interest rates - driven by Bollard's enthusiastic cuts to the official cash rate - offer respite to stretched homeowners, most have to break long-term fixed loans to benefit.
    They face hefty charges for the privilege, which often negate the potential interest saving.
    Veteran investor Olly Newland says he is scandalised by the fees banks charge struggling homeowners seeking to move from fixed to lower floating rates. He says it's an outrage that banks making multi-million dollar profits prefer to drive people to the wall than give them a break.
    "They're just merciless - and they're supposed to share the pain."
    Kiwibank's Bruce Thompson says break costs are a transfer of actual costs from the bank to the customer who is seeking to break the contract. Not passing on the costs is a direct loss to the bank.
    "The bank takes out its own contract to finance the loan and if you break your contract, then the bank contract must also be paid out."
    Bollard told banks earlier this month to pass on lower interest rates and easier conditions to customers, observing that profit margins have stayed high "and indeed grown".
    Banks have the means to stem more defaults, says Newland, but instead they remain rapacious.
    BNZ's Blair Vernon says with petrol prices falling, people's ability to service their fixed rate should improve if their budget accounted for the fixed rate at the time they took the loan.
    But Newland says when people return from holiday next year, those stuck on high interest rates "hanging on with their fingertips" will capitulate to the prospect of persevering another year and sell up. This will add to further property price falls before the market flattens again.
    Values will spike briefly in three to six months on the back of low interest rates, says market commentator Kieran Trass: "A whole lot of people go out and buy property because they can afford to when interest rates drop, but this is a passing wave." By the end of next year values will again weaken.
    The other market fundamentals are still unfavourable: prices are high relative to incomes, migration inflows are modest and job security now carries a degree of uncertainty, says Tuffley.
    Westpac chief economist Brendan O'Donovan says a second consecutive year of house price decline is not something New Zealand has experienced since at least the 1950s.
    But the United States has led the world into this house price bust, and their pace of house price decline accelerated from -5 per cent in the first year to -17 per cent in the second. To suggest New Zealand will behave differently would be "boldly optimistic".
    Quotable Value's figures show a national housing market reversal of 6.8 per cent this year, but O'Donovan thinks prices have actually fallen around 8 per cent and he expects another 5 per cent fall next year.
    "This has been one of the toughest years on record," says Massey University's analyst Bob Hargreaves.

Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

What are the banks supposed to do? Become a benefit society?
    'Oh the poor dears - we should make it easier for them by reducing the amount of money we make. We don't mind and nor will our shareholders'

Comment

It's pay back time.

I am incensed at the fees banks charge borrowers to break loans in an endeavour to obtain a lower interest rate and possibly save their homes.

People should be reminded that the banks have now been guaranteed against failure by the government- that means you and me-and you would think that under the circumstances they could make a few billions less profit for one year and give everyone a fair go.

I have dealt with may such cases in recent weeks and typically one bank (under pressure of public exposure from me) graciously allowed one struggling couple to reduce the interest on a $650,000 loan from 9.75% to 6.4% - but for a fee of $45,000 to be added on the end and on which interest still has to be paid.

I invite those of you who have more examples of these vile practices to post them here for all to see.
      OllyN [email protected]
      Independent Property Consultant
      Residential and Commercial Solutions

Comment

I don't have an example of merciless banks but I have a suggestion for retaliatory legislation. I would suggest that NZ follows the US of A's example and pass legislation that limits banks ability to recover funds when a home is reprocessed. Like in the US NZ banks could be limited to only recovering funds by mortgagee sale. If a mortgagee sale does not cover the debt owing, the bank must suffer the loss and can not seek further recompense from the Mortgagor whose debt is deemed cleared. I am sure just the threat of such Legislation would have NZ banks becoming far more altruistic.
        Last edited by Austrokiwi; 21-12-2008, 10:38 AM. Reason: typo
        The mission of any business enterprise should include the aim to develop economic conditions rather than simply react to them.

Comment

It's a real marginal cost to banks based on the "Interest Rate Swap" that is used to fund the mortgage in the first place.

National Bank, ASB, and BNZ have under-collected on break fees and I estimate they have collectively lost over $60m in the past 12 weeks as a result.

Ironically Kiwi Bank is probably making money!

My only two issues are:

(1) how did people end up taking such high 5 year rates when a falling rates have been signaled for a while. If it was through bad advice, or no advice, then they should be rightly pissed off. Although the fee is covered in the terms and conditions, it is reasonable for customers to expect their bank or broker to talk through the risks of longer-term fixed rates. I think the level of disclosure and advice to regular (less informed) punters has generally bordered on incompetent.

(2) although Kiwi Bank claims its calculation is purely cost recovery. It is not - and it is profiting from fixed rate breaks. The calculation is done using wholesale rates and ignores their increased margins. The 5 year fixed rates that are being broken have gross margins of 0.8% and they are replacing them with mortgages at gross margins of 1.60%. So they make an extra 0.80%! (I have had clients with Kiwi Bank with customer rates below those currently on offer, who have had break fees! One was $13k.) The same is true of Westpac and ANZ who run the same policy.

Comment

I agree with Olly.
            The banks do have the ability to add the break costs onto the existing mortgage instead of demanding them upfront as they do at present. They know full well that requiring mortgage holders to come up with thousands of dollars in cash is often not possible, thereby resulting in the banks keeping the higher rate.
            This is causing financial hardship, and I know of at least two cases whereby bankruptcy is in the process of happening.
            It is shortsighted of the bank not to help cases like this. They still get their money, they won't be out of pocket because the break costs are added onto the mortgage. It also means that they won't be forced to take back the house and try to sell it in a depressed market. How much of hit will they be forced to take then?
            Bleating on about how people shouldn't have got themselves in this situation is pointless and not helpful.
            The issue is about finding a way that people don't lose their houses, the banks don't lose out, and the house doesn't go to a mortgagee sale in this market.
            All of this could be done, if the banks were more flexible and stopped their short sighted money grabbing tactics now.
            Had one case of a mortgage of $174,000 fixed at 8% and they are wanting $8000 in break costs - ANZ again. Again inflexible in adding to the original mortgage and wanting money up front.
            Last edited by Gypsygirl; 22-12-2008, 08:35 AM.

Comment

It's no secret that the banks love to get their clients on 'fixed rates' and so they would wholeheartedly 'encourage' their clients to fix.....and for the longest terms possible.

In saying that - it is always a case of 'buyer beware' so really it is up to the borrower to do the research etc before making a commitment either way.

While I certainly emphasize with people that are in the s#!t if it was me in that situation - I'd be blaming me - not the banks.

One piece of 'irresponsibility' that I think needs to be controlled however is the handing out of additional credit 'pre-approved' on credit cards. It's wonderful to get the letter of additional 'pre-approved' credit especially around Christmas however it is also wildly irresponsible (I think) of the banks to offer it. Maybe there should be a law that banks can not make offers - only process requests for additional credit.

I wonder how many people have accepted the increase in credit in the recent splurge of letters from the banks.

Cheers,

Donna
              Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Actually 4.6% of the mortgage.
                "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by OllyN View Post
                  I am incensed at the fees banks charge borrowers to break loans in an endeavour to obtain a lower interest rate and possibly save their homes.

I have dealt with may such cases in recent weeks and typically one bank (under pressure of public exposure from me) graciously allowed one struggling couple to reduce the interest on a $650,000 loan from 9.75% to 6.4% - but for a fee of $45,000 to be added on the end and on which interest still has to be paid.

I invite those of you who have more examples of these vile practices to post them here for all to see.

Of course that poor borrower who signed a binding agreement is also now saving $20,000 per year in interest costs by breaking that loan... Is this really so "vile" ? People who fixed for long term loans were perfectly happy to gain the security of knowing their rates could not go up in the interim.

Ironically Olly, it is the government guarantee that is keeping mortgage rates higher due to the additional costs levied on the banks for that guarantee. I wonder where that $1 Billion in revenue that the government will make from the guarantee scheme will go?

Comment

Had one case of a mortgage of $174,000 fixed at 8% and they are wanting $8000 in break costs - over ten percent of the mortgage?
                    Actually less than 5% :-)

Comment

Originally posted by roseneath_rat View Post
                      Ironically Olly, it is the government guarantee that is keeping mortgage rates higher due to the additional costs levied on the banks for that guarantee. I wonder where that $1 Billion in revenue that the government will make from the guarantee scheme will go?
                      ...and naturally that government guarantee is really tax money so we all get to pay twice to bail out bankers...

How ironic...

Comment

correct - sorry maths is out!!

Comment

The banks do have the ability to add the break costs onto the existing mortgage instead of demanding them upfront as they do at present.
                          ANZ again. Again inflexible in adding to the original mortgage and wanting money up front.
                          Incorrect, I had ANZ Capitalize 12k fee In total to my loans.
                          New Zealand's #1 Marketplace for Property Investors & Sellers!
                          FREE Access to HOT Property Deals
                          CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.

Comment

Banks are in the business to make money not act like charities.

Comment

Originally posted by muppet View Post
                              Banks are in the business to make money not act like charities.
                              I would believe it is in every forward thinking capitalists interest to develop and support the market, this would mean sometimes forgoing immediate profits to support their customer base, not slash and burn it!
                              The mission of any business enterprise should include the aim to develop economic conditions rather than simply react to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X