• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150 houses for 'green belt' but pet cats banned

150 houses for 'green belt' but pet cats banned
    5:00AM Monday January 21, 2008
    By Wayne Thompson
    Many of the trees will be retained in Weiti Forest Park.

A developer has won resource consent to build 150 houses in the "green belt" that stops urban Auckland pushing further north, promising to ban cats and create public access to its remote coastal fringes.

Planning commissioners gave consent for subdivision, earthworks and drainage after a five-day hearing on behalf of Rodney District Council and Auckland Regional Council. The sites are in the coastal 840ha Weiti Forest, which is the largest privately owned chunk of undeveloped land left on Auckland's northeast coast.

Williams Land principal Evan Williams said he was pleased with the decision.

He said development in Karepiro Bay would occupy half of the 216ha allowed by existing zoning. Buildings would cover only 3.3 per cent of the whole property.

"This will be an exclusive development," said Mr Williams.

Rules for residents included an architecture code, provisions for management of native bush and protection of wild life, a ban on cat ownership and tight controls of dogs.

Mr Williams said controls on stormwater would reduce sediment flows from the catchment to the benefit of the ecology of Okura Estuary and the Okura-Long Bay Marine Reserve. Houses would be set back 200m to 400m from the coast.

The company was working on a cultural management plan for pre-European archaeological sites with four interested iwi.

"We are trying to develop this as sensitively and gently as we can."

A public carpark for 50 vehicles would be provided at the end of an upgraded access road, in addition to pedestrian access to Karepiro Bay and building a walkway between the bay and Stillwater.

Mr Williams said there was a good prospect of most of the pine forest cover being retained.

The company originally planned 600 sites in the same space.

It was reviewing whether it should proceed with its appeal to the Environment Court against the 150 lots limitation in the proposed Rodney District Plan.

Commissioner Harry Bhana said: "I accept there will be some adverse effects but in my view they are an inevitable outcome of the zoning provisions which have been in force for some 20 years."

An objector to the consent, Pete Townend, said he was disappointed at the decision. It was poor zoning to allow 150 houses to spoil the "stunning bit of wilderness" in the southern part of the forest.

Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Pet cats might be banned, but it may be ok to have them if you are breeding them for their pelts or for eating.
    Julian
    Gimme $20k. You will receive some well packaged generic advice that will put you on the road to riches beyond your wildest dreams ...yeah right!

Comment

Cat pelts are rubbish - possum is much better.

It is good that some poeple are starting to recognise cats for the pest that they are.

Paul.

Comment

So when the rat and mouse population explode in the area, what then?
        I saw a study last year about this, and the average house cat does little to affect the native bird population preferring the ground dwelling imports, but has a huge effect on the rat and mice populations (that raid nests, eat tree seed etc).

It's seems it's all getting a bit PC with little thought.
        Find The Trend Whose Premise Is False - Then Bet Against It

Comment

Years ago my folks were looking at a new subdivision here in chch, some of odder rules were

- No BBQ's
          - Not allowed to wear a wife beater (singlet)

What's up with that? That would be impossible to enforce. I can just see the nosy neighbours now going through your trash looking for a burnt sausage...
          Need a website or anything to do with online marketing? Visit Christchurch Web Design.

Comment

LOL -
            I've read a lot of upmarket US subdivisions ban clotheslines
            Find The Trend Whose Premise Is False - Then Bet Against It

Comment

Strange rules

Here in London you go to the park and there are signs up saying 'No kite flying'.

Weirdest thing I've ever seen... where else do you fly a kite?

Comment

Originally posted by Serendipity View Post
                Here in London you go to the park and there are signs up saying 'No kite flying'.

Weirdest thing I've ever seen... where else do you fly a kite?

Hehe, and kicking a ball just about anywhere in the UK (except the middle of the road) appears to be against the rules, no wonder England didn't make it to the Euro's this time...

Cheers
                David
                New to property investing? See: Best PropertyTalk Threads for New and Old Investors And/Or:Propertytalk Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Julian View Post
                  Pet cats might be banned, but it may be ok to have them if you are breeding them for their pelts or for eating.
                  Julian
                  Julian, I laughed out loud when I saw that. Yes, a commercial cat growing operation! I imagine you could get a good start with your breeding stock by cruising the streets with tasty morsels late at night.

Actually, someone may already be doing this... http://www.stuff.co.nz/4377891a10.html

David
                  Squadly dinky do!

Comment

They're an acquired taste, cats - bit tangy for some - better in a stew with lots of veges than as a roast.
                    Julian
                    Gimme $20k. You will receive some well packaged generic advice that will put you on the road to riches beyond your wildest dreams ...yeah right!

Comment

I imagine that satay cat would be about as good as it gets.

Comment

No Pets Policy

It's a very interesting policy to have but becomes unenforceable once properties change hands.

Example - first owners move in less cats. There MAY be a covenant against Title or more than likely on the S&P.

1st owners move out, 2nd owners move in. No covenant on Title, no mention of No Pets Policy on S&P. 1st owners don't want to enforce issue as they loose sale, so they choose not to.

2nd owners move in with cat, none the wiser.

Or what about those 1st owners, who know about the policy, but decide that they really can't live without a cat and decide to sneak a cat into their house?? How long do you think it will be before "Darling" the cat, needs to go out at night for a pee? Imagine the farce if "Darling" decides to wander off and Mrs Bloggs is racing around in her frilly nightie with a torch whispering loudly, "Darling, come home!! Please don't kill anything!! Mumsie is so sorry for letting you out. Please forgive me!".

A policy that is implemented to give the subdivision "exclusivity" status. If the subd is in an area where there is protected birdlife etc, then maybe the subd shouldn't go ahead.

My 2c worth.
                        Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Working...
                        X